How tall is too tall?

High Risk Behavior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - first off, my upfront apologies if I have posted this question in the wrong forum. I am a new member and have just jumped in to the vast world of reef aquariums. So, it looks like there is no better place to start then right here, asking you experts out there.

So, here goes. I am in process of picking a reef tank and am battling between 2 sizes. First size is 72x24x36 or 72x24x48. Before you answer, let me give you some background on my spending habits. I am one of those guys that has learned over the years that its better to just buy the biggest and best, otherwise I will buy something middle of the range, eventually not like it, then upgrade to the best and biggest, and end up wasting more money. So, I seem to always lean to just buying the best right off the bat. So with that said, I don't want to be ignorant on picking the correct size. Seeing that this is a reef tank, would you go with a 36 or 48 inch tall tank? Do you feel the 36" will give me the wow factor I am looking for, or am I going to eventually be disappointed that I didn't go with the 48" tank? I like the thought of schooling fish running the top, and different fish in the middle, and bottom. The other key piece is that I have always had my sights on breaking the 300 gallon barrier, which pulls me to the larger tank. However, I'm leaning to you guys to lead me in the right direction since I really have no idea what I'm up against. I just want to make a smart decision based on beauty and practicality, not just my ego.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :D I would stick to the 36".. You will find trying to reach the bottom of a 48" for cleaning and maintance a chore, also lighting to reach the bottom of a deeper tank will be more of a problem.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with responses. Tall tanks are tough to work in and on. Even at 36". Unless you have unnatural long arms. :)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how long are your arms?
I have a 180-24x24x72, but if I'd do it again I'd go bigger, go longer, and not go over 36" in height. Maintence will be your *****, ask anyone who has a deep tank. If you really need a bigger WOW, call those guys from Vegas to build you your dream.
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef !

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like over 24" deep tank I like wider tanks than deeper tanks more room to aquascape and layer corals. Deep get's expensive to light with 400 watt MH's. Put a couple on your tank and watch the electric meter spin.

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 72x24x30 Perfecto tank, I am 6'2" tall. I have to stand on a ladder with my arm pit on the top of the tank, I can barely reach the sand bed. I like the extra swimming space for my fish, I would not consider going over 30" unless it is a Fowlr system.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

Ugh.......... I wouldn't take either of them even if they were free, but that's just my opinion.
You will battle with light, rockscape the height, reaching the bottom and water flow.
IMO 30" is the max if you going to do the maintenance your self.
Just to think about your armpits getting wet with as result that manly Old Spice getting in the water and later on figuring out that your corals don't have PE and the skimmer going nuts.
I could get a good deal on a 10'x4'x3' but Holy cow 36" deep............. not in my life.

Last edited:

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO those are awesome tanks and have a multitude of possibilities to looks really great. Now, I agree with all that was stated before. It will take a lot of planning with rock work, it will be a challenge to have enough light on the bottom (not impossible but be prepared for a good investment in light fixtures), coral placement so it does not created shaded areas underneath, and tank maintenance.
I do believe that all challenges are also great opportunities, so take time to see a few deep tanks that you would consider successful before you buy it, and learn what took to make it look that way.
Good luck!

NeptuneGarden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are too tall.

Measure the distance from your armpit to the tip of the your fingers. Never go deeper.
The 29-30" tall tanks seem to be perfect. Gives you a little more depth than a 24", but you can still reach the bottom

I've had a 36" tall tank ...... was a never ending nightmare to clean.

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 265 is 30" tall and my armpit gets wet every time I try to reach the bottom. If I could do it again I would have made it 30" wide and only 24" tall.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree with the others... both are too tall. It's going to be a pain to do any maintenance on that tank without a snorkel and/or wet armpits. If you want wow factor, go longer and deeper (front to back).

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree with the others... both are too tall. It's going to be a pain to do any maintenance on that tank without a snorkel and/or wet armpits. If you want wow factor, go longer and deeper (front to back).

That's what she said...

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aspect ratio of a taller tank. My tank is 27" tall and that is more than enough. Also the tank is 36" deep which gives lots of room for aquascaping. I would suggest something like a 72 wide, 36 depth and 30 inch tall.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 27" tall tank is about my limit. Bad enough I need a stepladder to get in it. If you want it higher, have a stand built. And yeah a pain to light as well if you go much deeper.

The amount and size of fish you can keep will be decided more by length and width anyway. Taller and not as long is going to limit your fish choices a little more.

I built a 36" tall acrylic tank for my sump collection box (nothing else to call it) but it is purpose built for reasons I don't want to get into and man I would not want to have to get to the bottom. Scuba gear anyone?

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

Ugh.......... I wouldn't take either of them even if they were free, but that's just my opinion.
You will battle with light, rockscape the height, reaching the bottom and water flow.
IMO 30" is the max if you going to do the maintenance your self.
Just to think about your armpits getting wet with as result that manly Old Spice getting in the water and later on figuring out that your corals don't have PE and the skimmer going nuts.
I could get a good deal on a 10'x4'x3' but Holy cow 36" deep............. not in my life.
Ditto!
Anything deeper than 24", and you'll need to start buying reef safe deodorant.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back