How tight is your pH swing? Tricks?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have managed to get my pH swings to about 0.17 from average low of about 8.03 to average high of about 8.20. I think my total is a tad low because my pH probe is calibrating weird — older probe. More interested in the swing. My recent method is to start dosing two-part on the downslope, nothing at the bend and upslope. The reading is smooth up, hairy bumps down. A thing of beauty.

Our mutual goal is the unattainable (I think) net 0 swing. I don’t have my Fuge on a true reverse cycle because of Caulerpa naughtiness fear, but I do go darker somewhat in the upswing hours.
Any other tricks of the trade to recommend?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally 8.23 to 8.29, unless I leave my windows open...then I'm unable to control the highs with my setup.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think the daily pH swing is something that needs to be minimized (I'm not even sure it is optimal to have zero swing), but the more aeration you have, the lower the pH swing will be (assuming that air is not varying in CO2).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back