How to achieve clean macroalgaes

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since i got alot of different types of macroalgaes and one frag tank is currently on hyposalinity, i wanted to prepare the replanting of the frag tank.
How do i assure the macroalgaes i put in there are aptasia and sea lettuce free?
I am struggling with the sea lettuce right now, since it is going to overgrow other macroalgaes, and it even appears in thanks where i thought i put clean macroalges in (no obvious signs of sea lettuce and aptasia on the frag)
So what should i do?
The frag tank should be clean after 35 days of hyposalinity or not? Atleast i hope i killed every sea lettuce and aptasia cell by doing hypo.

I would start by making small frags, clean them under magnification, and then wash them in fresh saltwater. If i can't see any ulva or aptasia under a scope, there shouldn't be any, am i right? And Washington them in fresh saltwater should remove smaller bits?
And then i am Petting them in an old freshwater tank with new saltwater in it for quarantine, but for how long till i can say it is Pest free?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I would put elevated nutrients into the qt to see if any hitchhikers start growing in there.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know but I would put elevated nutrients into the qt to see if any hitchhikers start growing in there.
For how long would you do that?
Whats the time when i know there is nothing on there, a week or even more?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For how long would you do that?
Whats the time when i know there is nothing on there, a week or even more?

I put a frag of zoa's growing on a small piece of liverock into a tank once, and about a year later I noticed caulerpa growing from this tiny piece of liverock. I pulled it out, cleaned it off and put it back in the tank. A year later caulerpa sprouted again! I believe I threw the rock into the trash at that point. I don't know how long is a proper interval for confidence but as someone else mentioned these hobby methods are not foolproof. Sorry,

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back