How to add good critters without adding bad critters?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is cycling. But I’m curious on hitchhikers. I have some other tanks, but I’m trying to more picky about stuff that goes in the new tank. I’ve pretty much always dumped and prayed.

Now I have some good hitching hikers in my other tanks I’d like to introduce to the new tanks. But I’m not quite sure how to do it. I would like to transfer some mysis shrimp over, some copepods and some brittle stars. Anyone know of some methods to add them will out bringing anything g bad over?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps leave some live rocks in the old tanks and use them to seed the new tank, assuming the hitchhikers transfer over. Might need to catch mysis in a baster

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd set up a small tank to put the rock into for a bit, give it a shake every once in a while and pull out the stuff you want individually to seed in the new tank. Not the most efficient but seems like it would be one of the only ways to really ensure you're getting only what you want is to pluck it by hand.

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps leave some live rocks in the old tanks and use them to seed the new tank, assuming the hitchhikers transfer over. Might need to catch mysis in a baster

Only issue is I have acquired some not so good hitchhikers. Like colonial hydroids.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back