How to best qt lots of fish at once?

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in lockdown and have been planning to ask my LFS for awhile now (5-9 months) to order in some fish for me when we get out, which is looking to be in the next couple weeks. I have been reading up about them and taking extra care to do everything right. I am really worried about introducing fish individually because I have a mean powderblue tang and bi-colour angelfish (also some wrasse but they have not shown signs of aggression) already established.

I'm hoping to be able to setup 2-3 30 gallon tanks to use as QT. If I take the sponges from my display tank would that be enough to avoid ammonia spikes and cycle them?

I am hoping to qt the wrasse in one tank, the tangs in another and possibly the angels in a third or split between the two. With tank dividers separating the fish (or at least into smaller groups to reduce aggression)

The purpose of this qt is to get them eating and healthy before introducing them into the dt.

I am wanting to introduce 3 tangs, 5 wrasse and 4 angels. Some of which are known to be fussy eaters (hence the extra precautions). I am looking to start a live blackworm culture and live brineshrimp to ensure they start eating.

I am aware it is not best practise to have so many fish all in QT at once, its in an effort to save expense for my LFS and reduce aggression upon introduction.

Also should I be looking into something more powerful than a sponge filter (such as HOB). Thanks everyone!
Fish:

Achilles Tang

Powderbrown Tang

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse

Lennardi Wrasse

Male Bluestar Leopard Wrasse

Timor Wrasse

Marble Wrasse

Regal Angel

Flame Angel

Lamarks Angel

Multibar Angel

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
HOB filter will be more effective than sponge unit. Unless you have quite a large QT tank I would stock slowly and qt 3-4 fish at a time

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filter will be more effective than sponge unit. Unless you have quite a large QT tank I would stock slowly and qt 3-4 fish at a time
Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to read through my post. How would you recommend I deal with the aggression then? How would you approach this if it were you?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently quarantining seven tangs 2-3 " in a 40 breeder, and custom 30 gallon tank. They have plenty of room. If those were all four to five inch fish, That wouldn't be the case.
I find if I use a sponge filter I also need to use a pump inside the tank for good water flow.

Hob are Great because if you lower your water level 2 in, You got a splashing effect that also aerates while you're medicating.
PXL_20210904_034028072.MP.jpg

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently quarantining seven tangs 2-3 " in a 40 breeder, and custom 30 gallon tank. They have plenty of room. If those were all four to five inch fish, That wouldn't be the case.
I find if I use a sponge filter I also need to use a pump inside the tank for good water flow.

Hob are Great because if you lower your water level 2 in, You got a splashing effect that also aerates while you're medicating.
PXL_20210904_034028072.MP.jpg
Wow thats amazing thank you for sharing. I don't see any tank dividers are you experiencing and issues with fighting or the more timid tangs not getting the chance to eat?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to read through my post. How would you recommend I deal with the aggression then? How would you approach this if it were you?
Start with the most docile first and purchase the known aggressive last

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats amazing thank you for sharing. I don't see any tank dividers are you experiencing and issues with fighting or the more timid tangs not getting the chance to eat?
Nope. I feed heavily and have two algea clips so that they don't feel the need to compete. There is a boss of each side. Not aggression, they quickly figured out a hierarchy and are buddies now.

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask. Do you guys think that aggression from old tank mates is really a threat to new introductions. I cannot use mirrors as the sides of the tank are already made out of reflective glass and they are used to that now. I was planning on using two 25cm by 15cm by 10cm mesh acclimation boxes, except I put a sick wrasse in there and it freaked out. Now I am a little scared of using those. Experiences and Ideas would be appreciated thanks.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a mirror can help, they end up "attacking" their own reflection and ignoring the others, or become more docile according to what ive been told

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask. Do you guys think that aggression from old tank mates is really a threat to new introductions. I cannot use mirrors as the sides of the tank are already made out of reflective glass and they are used to that now. I was planning on using two 25cm by 15cm by 10cm mesh acclimation boxes, except I put a sick wrasse in there and it freaked out. Now I am a little scared of using those. Experiences and Ideas would be appreciated thanks.
put a mirror a small mirror inside if you can. if its in a new position it'll work again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back