how to bring lights back on after a three day black due to dino's

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As part of my battle with Dino's I have my tank lights off and the tank wrapped with black trash bags for three days. (this is day two)
My question is how should I bring my lights back on? I don't think I should go right back to the set schedule I was using prior to the black out, but I'm not sure. Should I bring them on slowly, increasing hours per day as well as intensity over the course of several days? If so, how slowly, how many days?

P.S. Thank you for all the amazing input so many here provided when I inquired about how to get rid of Dino's!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it'd really depend heavily on the corals in your system.

If you don't have corals you care about, then I'd do a super slow ramp up... maybe even a couple of months. Give the rest of the biodiversity in the tank a chance to outcompete the dinos.

If you do have corals in there you'd like to keep, then I'd still try to do a slower ramp up (weeks) and just keep an eye on how they are responding.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize this is nothing but a bandaid fix and your dinos will be right back in the tank again right as soon as you take the covers off? Addressing the underlying source of your problem is the only true solution.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Zoa colonies, one GSP, & a ricordea mushroom, plus hitchhikers, a yellow sponge and a coral I have not been able to identify. Also two Ocellaris Clowns and an abundant CUC.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do, I'm also slowly raising my nitrates and phosphates. They were both at zero which I'm pretty sure is what got me in this mess. I'm considering trying Dino X. I've slowly raised the temperature from 78 to 82. I have Live rock from Tampa Bay Live rock so there is already a ton of biodiversity in the tank, and it is all still thriving so I'm hopeful that that will also help. The Dinos had just started to appear when I began to take these steps so we shall see.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I also removed the GFO & carbon from my filter caddies.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do, I'm also slowly raising my nitrates and phosphates. They were both at zero which I'm pretty sure is what got me in this mess. I'm considering trying Dino X. I've slowly raised the temperature from 78 to 82. I have Live rock from Tampa Bay Live rock so there is already a ton of biodiversity in the tank, and it is all still thriving so I'm hopeful that that will also help. The Dinos had just started to appear when I began to take these steps so we shall see.
Correct the bottomed out nutrients caused the dino mess. Keep working on your biome. Add pods and phytoplankton. Dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste. Avoid Dino X, you added live ocean rock to Jumpstart your system which is smart. Don't defeat the purpose by introducing harsh chemicals to bandaid fix the problem. Run lights at 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites for awhile. Pods will work on dinos but it takes time due to their size.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct the bottomed out nutrients caused the dino mess. Keep working on your biome. Add pods and phytoplankton. Dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste. Avoid Dino X, you added live ocean rock to Jumpstart your system which is smart. Don't defeat the purpose by introducing harsh chemicals to bandaid fix the problem. Run lights at 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites for awhile. Pods will work on dinos but it takes time due to their size.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that PNS, pods & phytoplankton all can lower nitrates & phosphates. I’m trying to bring my numbers up. Your thoughts?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that PNS, pods & phytoplankton all can lower nitrates & phosphates. I’m trying to bring my numbers up. Your thoughts?
PNS can lower nitrates slightly but I only dose it once a week in a full dose amount and I have seen no noticeable reduction in my nitrates but my tank is significantly cleaner. I change filter socks about every 10 days now and they are still white when changing out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back