How To Build A DIY AQUARIUM DOSING CONTAINER or DIY DOSING BOTTLE

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish talker!
I made a video about DIY Dosing Bottle/Container. I tried to regroup many information that I learn and the mistake I did in the past, it's a bit of long video (sorry) but I love to hear all the details that make something useful so I just "Puke" what I knew on that video :).

Talking about details in this video, Plastic is one subject that I wanted to raise awareness so I did an image to help with this:
Plastic_Safety.jpg

I hope you find this useful and give you some ideas!
- Aqua Splendor

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the chart but believe it may be a bit misleading in the way its set up and ultimately labeled. First off, most folks are aware of the warnings surrounding BPAs and the need to reduce exposure, at least from the human perspective. You have types 3 & 6 in acceptable but just understand, though they don't contain BPAs in nearly the same concentration as type 7 plastics they still contain considerable BPAs . Also, one must consider the degradation of materials due to the chemical concentration of what you are choosing to store in the container (acidic, caustic etc.). Additionally, I have some qualms about the wording about the leaching of all plastics overtime and how it can be potentially misleading. Most of the information you will find is centered around avoiding the reuse of type 1 plastic water bottles and also involves data describing how the rate of leaching and consequently contamination can occur. The the aspect of heating plastics is often discussed in terms where the plastic is exposed to temperatures exceeding 150' F, or well above what we would expect to see in home aquaria and certainly a jug of two part tucked into our dark stand. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree in general :)
It's not all about BPA. (I wouldn't say most folks are aware of BPA, I keep in mind beginer/novice in consideration)

My thought process was to make easy for people to get directed to the right type of plastic.
What would you have change on that chart?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back