how to calibrate hanna salinity tester

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with a refractometer and 2 or 3 diff brands of cal fluid? So much faster then any electric gadget.

Things are dead simple, reliable, and just work.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with a refractometer and 2 or 3 diff brands of cal fluid? So much faster then any electric gadget.

Things are dead simple, reliable, and just work.
I much rather prefer the digital. Finding the perfect overhead light, making sure no air bubbles get into the sample, squinting eye pain, and straining to read which number that fuzzy blue line hits were the reasons I switched to the Milwaukee.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep every refractometer ever made, and every bottle of calibration fluid ever made. Nearly every one of them is off. And like posted above, let me get in the correct light, squint with my left eye, and try to guess where the edge of some fuzzy line is.

@Randy Holmes-Farley has a DIY calibration fluid that simply uses table salt.

OK we all like hanna meters for the digital readout, yet when using a digital refractometer, everyone gets bent out of shape over it. It's quite simple ease of use. Same reason we all like the hanna meters over titration tests.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK we all like hanna meters for the digital readout, yet when using a digital refractometer, everyone gets bent out of shape over it. It's quite simple ease of use. Same reason we all like the hanna meters over titration tests.

Lol dude lighten up use whatever salinity checker you want i dont think any of us are bent out of shape about.

FYI though many of us prefer titration tests to hanna and their crappy reagents.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*sorry in advance to GHOSTLY since this has nothing to do with original question...

Which Milwaukee model# do people (that recommended) use? There's MANY, from what I see. (Was planning on buying the Hanna but now curious)
I'm not sure but ill bump it for you! I got my answer

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased that Hannah checker and it’s highly inaccurate. A lot of members agree with me on this.

I listened to a member on here and got the Milwaukee and I’m so glad I did! The hannah checker is getting returned.

My 2¢
I had the complete opposite experience and have now moved to the hanna checker. I have two of the Milwaukee ones and both after a year or so stopped being much use.
487306CE-0662-48A5-9ECE-A94784BAB9FF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which part are you asking about, titration tests? If that's the one your asking what it is then it's the test type where you put drops in looking for a color change. Like all of the alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium manual tests.
Is there anything more special about it?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hanna with a home made calibration fluid per Dr Randy is the bees knees.

A milwalkee digital refrac is also just as good, when partnered with a Dr Randy calibration fluid.

It's the magician, not the wand,

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hanna with a home made calibration fluid per Dr Randy is the bees knees.

A milwalkee digital refrac is also just as good, when partnered with a Dr Randy calibration fluid.

It's the magician, not the wand,
What model of milwaukee are you using anything other than rodi water to calibrate?. I dont know of one that uses a standard 35 solution(or anything other than 0)?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model of milwaukee are you using anything other than rodi water to calibrate?. I dont know of one that uses a standard 35 solution(or anything other than 0)?
As far as I know you're right and they all calibrate to 0. I use Randy's recipe as a reference solution on mine though.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After owning both i went back to a refractometer i can calibrate to 35ppt of a known salinity fluid. Hanna checker lasted me about a year before the drift started becoming less than a month per calibration. (pretty sure it was because for a while i didn't know to clean the probe with rodi). My Milwaukee that i have always reads 1 point higher then the two calibration solutions i've used. It ended up with me revalidating my salinity using a refractometer because i couldn't trust the equipment so i just skipped the steps and just use the refractometer and validate the calibration every few months.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back