How to catch fish in a reef tank?

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 28 gallon biocube, put I have recently purchased a red sea 250. The problem is, I want to transfer all of my fish over to the new tank, but I have no idea how I will catch them, as they are all excellent hiders. My fish are:

1 Tomato Clownfish
1 Red Firefish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchamn Goby
1 Solon Fairy Wrasse

Any tips on how to catch them?

On a different note, the red sea 250 does not have a lid, and I am worried my wrasse will jump out once it's in the new tank. Why do modern tank not have lids. It seems rather counter-productive.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally not a wrasse keeper, but I've read it's when, not if, they'll jump out.
I am planning a water box 7225 and it will definitely have a net top over the top.
For my water box I plan to have three reef structures with subtle (hopefully) linear channels dividing them.
I plan to have precut egg crate plastic light shields that will slip down between the reef structures.
When the inevitable times comes that I have to catch a fish I will be able to divide the tank into thirds.
I will only have to disturb 1 third of the reef work, and will have 2 thirds where I can stash the rocks and coral while I am going after the fish that needs to be caught

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a tank transfer, you may want to drain your current tank and then catch the fish in the "puddle". The coral, rocks, sand can be left to air for a short period of time without harm.
If that's not an option, you can try a trap... I've had great success with this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fish-trap-icecap.html

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drain the tank and remove the rock and catch ‘em.

You actually have a few jumpers, not just the wrasse.

Most people either buy a custom made lid or make their own.

OP
OP
T

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drain the tank and remove the rock and catch ‘em.

You actually have a few jumpers, not just the wrasse.

Most people either buy a custom made lid or make their own.
Yeah, I agree, I will remove the rocks and drain the tank to catch the fish. I am planning to make a lid, but I was more just confused about why tanks don't just come with them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree, I will remove the rocks and drain the tank to catch the fish. I am planning to make a lid, but I was more just confused about why tanks don't just come with them.

cuz rimless looks sooo cooool!

instead Red Sea sells a separate lid kit you can buy ;Greedy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back