How to catch Gorilla Crab

Hmansbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have randomly been losing some torches, acans, and lost 2 clams. I found what looks to be a gorilla crab from searching the last few nights. I have tried to catch him but he is hidden to deep in rockwork. Any tricks to catch them?

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I laid a net on the bottom (collapsed) with a small rock in the center baited with shrimp. Crab did not want to walk on the net, but quickly ran/jumped onto the rock where it was comfortable and began munching. At that point it was easy to quickly raise the net and scoop both the small rock and the crab out of the tank.

EZKLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put up a red light at night, wait for him to come out and harpoon him. apparently they can't see the red light so won't see you coming

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had pretty good luck catching rogue crabs using a small baby food jar ( or similar size and shape and tall enough so it can't reach the lip of the jar and pull itself out).
I bait the jar trap with a piece of uncooked shrimp weighted down with a small piece of rock.
I place the jar in the tank near where I think the crab hides. I place the jar on the sand and tip it at a 45 degree angle up against the live rock. Make sure it's not going to tip over.
You will probably catch every other crab you have first before the rogue crab, but keep at it. It may take a week or two, or just a couple days.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most commonly used-and seems to be quite successful-is just putting some shrimp in the bottom of a shot glass and tilt it against your rock and it will climb up the rock and fall in the shot glass to eat the shrimp and won’t be able to get back out

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back