how to clean carbon from filter bags?

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question but this is my first time replacing my carbon in my filter bag. I turn the bag inside out and tried wiping and flicking all the carbon out but evrything is stuck together because it's wet. I don't want to just rinse it all down the sink since they are hard and don't really dissolve over time. I'd rather not have a plumbing issue lol. How is everybody else doing this? My phosguard comes off way easier. There must be an easier way to do this right?

OP
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray it with a hose outside? I put mine in organza gift bags and they’re so cheap I just toss the bag out too with the carbon.

hahah i was thinking of using something disposable.. that might work better than cleaning everytime. I'm in NYC so it's too cold to go outdoors and rinse right now.

how do you know which one is "fine" enough so it filters out the carbon properly?

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah i was thinking of using something disposable.. that might work better than cleaning everytime. I'm in NYC so it's too cold to go outdoors and rinse right now.

how do you know which one is "fine" enough so it filters out the carbon properly?
I think they’re all pretty generic, the ones I linked to are good, what kind of carbon do you use? I use seachem so they’re little balls and I just rinse it quick after I throw it in the bag to knock the dust off, never had an issue with any coming out

OP
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just order packs of disposable mesh bags from amazon, I use them for carbon, phosban, or whatever. They come in all shapes and sizes.
yea i realized this is prob the easiest way to do this... short of paying for CPE.

$5 for 100 tea bag filters haha

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just empty the carbon in the bin from the bag, shake it a bit and then refill it. Don’t worry about the bits of old carbon left you will be fine.

Or you can use disposable bags as already said

PS. No question is a stupid question here on R2R if you don’t know the answer, so you ask whatever you want

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back