How to Clean Media Filter Sponges?

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2014
Messages
2,130
Reaction score
1,049
Location
Gilbert, AZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am curious to see what ways you guys clean these sort of filters. The filters I am talking about mostly hold the media in the container for either GFO, Carbon, and so on. Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about.

I would usually sit them in a bag with H202 (peroxide) to get them clean but it will take forever for them to get clean that way. I am hesitant to use bleach as I know some people do this with their filter socks. Any ideas on how to get these things clean? I have blasted these with the hose but they never get 100% clean.

Thanks!
204185-brs-reactor-cartridge-10-a.jpg
20150830_155627_zpsqafm1ijy.jpg
 
Garden holes for the sponges, hard bristle brush for cleaning cups work the inside of the media holders...
...sponges never come out white but I'm able to blast most of the mum out and than squeeze dry while rinsing in ro/di.
 
Last edited:
They have seen better days...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1440976477.226610.jpg
 
Won't these respond the same as the filter socks if you dump them in the washer with bleach?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new