Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, brown jelly again…
This time, it’s my trumpet coral.
I’m getting tired of losing another lps every few months. Are there specific chemicals that will wipe out the bacteria for good? I’m thinking chemiclean, but what are your thoughts??

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bjd happens when a coral has been struggling so long it's left open to bacteria. the long death

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods eat ciliates, so I wonder if they are any help with the ciliates that are part of the disease? However, the ciliates are likely not the cause of the disease but probably opportunistically come into play.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what temperature do you run the tank water?

wagondavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, brown jelly again…
This time, it’s my trumpet coral.
I’m getting tired of losing another lps every few months. Are there specific chemicals that will wipe out the bacteria for good? I’m thinking chemiclean, but what are your thoughts??
I also have to face the same problem. So now what can I do? Some online portals give me some idea but I think those are fake so I'm asking.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have to face the same problem. So now what can I do? Some online portals give me some idea but I think those are fake so I'm asking.
I posted an article link on using ciprofloxacin antibiotic for dosing in tank treatment above.
For those that don’t want to read all the details the information on how to do it in a nutshell.

Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this dissolve a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution. Multiply your tank water volume in liters by .125. Then divide by 10 to calculate the ml dosage of the solution. Dose 3 times over a 6 day period.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess next question is where to get Cipro. Used to be sold by Chewy without a prescription in the fish section but appears to have been removed. I have purchased from the following company and had excellent experience. https://aquanestbiotic.com/

I should also note you can buy in 250mg size and either use two for 50ml water or 1 in 25ml for the same dosage calculation. Might be cheaper if you have a small tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for posting their advice and experiences! I’ll try to get my hands on some cipro, and use those helpful links. Hopefully nothing else gets the disease. The trumpet that got sick was constantly combatting overgrowing palys, so I sort of expected its decline. There was only so many times I could pry off the palys before they took complete control of the rocks….

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back