How to Connect UV Sterilizer to Cannister Filter

AquaScaper77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am new to the hobby, but have a lot of trouble figuring out how things work with regard to specific products and the actual set-up/plumbing. Two things are weighing on me at the moment.

1) Using lily pipes in an aquarium with a canister filter
2) Also using a uv sterilizer in an aquarium with a canister filter.

I have the Fluval fx6 canister filter for a 90 gallon rimless planted (freshwater) tank (35"x23"x24"). I just purchased some Dymax lily pipes/surface skimmer and I need to convert a one inch to 5/8 inch for the lily pipes (that's 17mm lily pipes and the fluval comes with one inch hose). The skimmer is useful I am told because of the surface agitation and then I won't need to get a powerhead.

My first problem is the specific types of fittings. I finally decided on either stainless steel or pvc material for the fittings due to having shrimp. Finding the correct measurement is more difficult, but I can order them online.

The problem now is I want to use a uv sterilizer but I am running into the problem of how to set this up with a cannister filter. The one I was looking at is the Pentair (https://pentairaes.com/smart-uv-high-output-sterilizers.html). This sterilizer if it is even possible to connect would require 2" to 1" converion for the reducers. By looking it at this, it has two inputs, hoqwcwe. How do I connect this to a canister filter along with the lily pipes? Is it even worth it? Is there a better option for a uv sterilizer. The question is what do I want to do. Protect fish from diseases and keep green algae out of water column mostly. I know there is something about flowrate with regard to the efficiency of these items.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to to get some barbs (the reducer type) and some hose clamps

The issue with using a canister filter and a UV in line is; the canister filter puts out a non- adjustable flow ammount. Fine tuning the UV will be not possible without restricting the amount of water going thru the canister thus reducing its productivity.

OP
OP
A

AquaScaper77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be a 2" to 1" reducer (sterilizer) and a 5/8" to 1" reducer (lily pipes). Do you think the sterilizer is neccessary and which would you recommend. The Pentair is expense and a different one might be easier to install.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a wide range of opinions on canister filters and on UV sterilizers. Typically if they are both used on an aquarium they are plumbed separately where a separate pump pushes the water through the UV.

OP
OP
A

AquaScaper77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a wide range of opinions on canister filters and on UV sterilizers. Typically if they are both used on an aquarium they are plumbed separately where a separate pump pushes the water through the UV.
When you say separate pump. Can you give me an example? Do you mean another canister filter or a sponge filter or something else?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say separate pump. Can you give me an example? Do you mean another canister filter or a sponge filter or something else?
No additional canister needed. , meaning you would go over the back with a line drawing water down and into the pump, then out to a gate valve which flows through the uv and returns back to the tank. It would be a separate little system.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A canister filter has a pump built in that draws water from the tank, through the filtration media in the canister, and returns the water to the tank. A UV sterilizer doesn't typically come with a pump so there needs to be a way to move the water through the UV device. You would need to determine the proper size for the particular UV that you choose (and appropriate flow rate whether you intend to use it for water clarification or sterilization) and then choose an appropriate pump. Although it probably isn't the right flow rate, here is an example of the style of pump that could create flow for a UV:

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to to get some barbs (the reducer type) and some hose clamps

The issue with using a canister filter and a UV in line is; the canister filter puts out a non- adjustable flow ammount. Fine tuning the UV will be not possible without restricting the amount of water going thru the canister thus reducing its productivity.
How about if you were to buy a canister filter with a flow rate that is similar the UV sterilizer’s flow rate so that it targets either parasites (lower flow) or algae/microorganisms (higher flow rate) just what I’ve read.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back