How to Control CArx effluent rate with APEX (idea)

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I do not currently have an APEX myself, but am considering adding one to my growing 300G reef. I currently have a Calcium reactor and would like to control the effluent rate remotely... such as the upcoming Alk monitoring device, if it reads low alkalinity, I would like to be able to throttle the alkalinity up.

Background - I am an electrical engineer and design circuits and prototypes for a living. I have made several DIY lighting systems, controllers and devices for feeding and throttling pumps up/down in cycle etc to keep food in tank.

5 ways I can think of to do this project:
  1. 2 part dosing with DOS (but I like the ease of CaReactor and already have a good one)
  2. expensive continuous rated peristaltic pump that can interface with the APEX (don't think that is possible unless I can find the protocol to control the pump)
  3. stepper motor rigged up to needle valve (will be hard to waterproof and not easy build)
  4. Control flow of C02 into CaReactor with solenoid and monitor it's PH (I think then turn up C02 if need more alk, will be slow to react, but will work, but not if effluent valve clogs, can add a second solenoid to effluent to shutoff completely)
  5. Solenoid valves on a manifold.

210692-solenoid-valve-sv-1-neptune-systems.jpg

I think if I had the effluent run to a 3 way adapter and connected a solenoid to each one... then I could turn on all 3 effluents, or 2 or 1 or none. In that way, I can turn the flow up down or off. To further control, put a pinch or needle valve on each one, so there is a pre-set trickle from each one. Maybe combine option 4 and 5, so full control of solenoids from APEX, but that does scare me a bit.

It's nice to see a parameter remotely, but unless I can correct it remotely, then I think I'd rather not know, and enjoy my trip. I did not see this idea any where else. Thoughts?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I do not currently have an APEX myself, but am considering adding one to my growing 300G reef. I currently have a Calcium reactor and would like to control the effluent rate remotely.

210692-solenoid-valve-sv-1-neptune-systems.jpg

Thoughts?
I looked at it awhile back for my cal reactor.

It's rated too high (in flow), for an cal reactor's output stream.

I just stick with Sicce 1.0 for the feed pump and the BRS needle valve to maintain the output's stream. It does the job and it's safe.

You can buy an Apex controller to control your reactor's ph melting point.

You don't need a peristaltic pump.

:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I could just control the PH of the CaRx with the APEX, and then maybe a solenoid that can shut off the air or effluent if alk is way too high.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run with Apex fusion it will turn on and off your Co2's regulator as needed.

Did you take the time to watch, and understand the video?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaRx can be funny in their behavior. Choking the effluent doesn't necessarily mean less alkalinity added - the effluent will likely have a higher alk level unless the pH is also adjusted. My preferred approach, by far, is to set my CaRx so that CO2 and effluent rates are fixed and continuous so that mineral addition is consistent. The only variable then is the amount if media in the reactor. As long as I replenish when this half depleted, it's not a major factor. I do briefly 'cycle' the solenoid so it does not stick, but otherwise it's running continuously. I would NOT want trident/apex screwing around with this balance. In fact I'm entirely unenthusiastic about using trident to actually control anything. Far more sensible for it to be a monitor/alert.

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a masterflex pump on ebay. This will allow me to control my effluent flow with extreme precision and reliability. I also figured out how to connect it to the APEX and throttle it up/down remotely. Once the TRIDENT ALK/MAG/CALC monitor arrives, then I can write scripts for it to auto control ALK as well. I'll report back in future, but I'm sick and tired of needle valve and pinch valves that always clog up.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back