How to convince my wife to let me get another tank without getting divorced.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five, but I never asked for permission for any of them. But we both have our own things we do, and she gets to spend money also. (I just don’t tell her exactly how much I spend! :grinning-squinting-face:)

OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five, but I never asked for permission for any of them. But we both have our own things we do, and she gets to spend money also. (I just don’t tell her exactly how much I spend! :grinning-squinting-face:)
It turned out pretty bad one day she’s over it I snuck in a 200 gallon freshwater tank in the basement. It was there for a year and a half until one day she decided to go down and found..

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turned out pretty bad one day she’s over it I snuck in a 200 gallon freshwater tank in the basement. It was there for a year and a half until one day she decided to go down and found..
I was about to say just make it a surprise but you kept a surprise a secret for a year and a half lol

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Set up a frag tank. Sell some frags. Show her that the hobby can pay for itself. Done deal.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with a single freshwater tank… and when I say “we” I am using it in a very very loose way. We now have 1 fresh water and 4 salt water, soon to be 6 when I add the frag tanks. My husband complained for the first few months and then he realized that I overlook all the gaming systems and many video games if I get to buy the fish or coral I want. Find the wife a hobby of her own! You might be surprised at how much easier this one gets for you!

OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trippin-ape-tribe-chorles-blessing-chorles.gif
If you have to ask permission you probably picked the wrong wife

Set up a frag tank. Sell some frags. Show her that the hobby can pay for itself. Done deal.
I’m gonna have to be slinging Frags like crazy to make it work

OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with a single freshwater tank… and when I say “we” I am using it in a very very loose way. We now have 1 fresh water and 4 salt water, soon to be 6 when I add the frag tanks. My husband complained for the first few months and then he realized that I overlook all the gaming systems and many video games if I get to buy the fish or coral I want. Find the wife a hobby of her own! You might be surprised at how much easier this one gets for you!
Is shopping a hobby? she does a lot of that.

OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly is. Most of these things are based on how you frame them. “I don’t ask about that super expensive looking purse you just bought, the new tank would look great in that corner”.
Never thought of it that way interesting

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%!
I have my Reef Cave, my wife has her Craft Cave. We have separate hobbies, but do them both at home. I don’t sew, she doesn’t frag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
musel101

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll drop the bomb with a new tank and then soften the blow with a new purse for her.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back