How to curb Pavona?

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have Pavona in several areas of my tank that has encrusted and spread out. It's taking over the live rock in those areas. It doesn't seem to come off easily by scraping. I was thinking of making some kalk slurry and when current turned off/no flow paint the areas I want gone.. but this seems like it would take a lot of kalk. Any other better ways of doing this? Thanks in advance, brad

Larryr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have Pavona in several areas of my tank that has encrusted and spread out. It's taking over the live rock in those areas. It doesn't seem to come off easily by scraping. I was thinking of making some kalk slurry and when current turned off/no flow paint the areas I want gone.. but this seems like it would take a lot of kalk. Any other better ways of doing this? Thanks in advance, brad
I've used kalk slurry to control dozens of different organisms over the years. Pavona is one of the most difficult ones to eradicated. Kalk will kill the majority of it but there always seams to be a remnant remaining. Fortunately it grows slowly in my tank.

OP
OP
T

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used kalk slurry to control dozens of different organisms over the years. Pavona is one of the most difficult ones to eradicated. Kalk will kill the majority of it but there always seams to be a remnant remaining. Fortunately it grows slowly in my tank.

thanks!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

if its as wide spread out perhaps using a physical barrier on it like how you kill weeds without chemicals. Cover the areas most affected with something reef safe like sheets of felt for a little while. would block flow and light while covered and not cause any tank wide issues like loads of kalk.

after it starts dying use kalk on the bits smaller areas couldn’t cover. An idea never actually attempted this.

OP
OP
T

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felt? As in the fabric? Interesting. And inexpensive!
I was also thinking if jjst pushing slabs of epoxy putty down over the outer edges- and then jjst pry the epoxy off in a few weeks.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chose felt because its the material of filter socks and proven reef safe. The process on a weeds usually involve a heavy plastic, some plastics are not reef safe. Again never actually tried this, just spit balling lol. Epoxy could work, but would be hesitant to use a lot of of epoxy at once in a tank with life in it. There are some chemicals leached during curing. In the small amounts we use for attaching frags not really important. But covering an entire section of rock not so sure of.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back