how to disinfect qt tank

sscg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me how to properly disinfect qt tanks, powerheads and heaters. I also think I have 2 contaminated brutes that I use to mix saltwater.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add my 2 cents worth here. If you have had a really disturbing disease (uronema, velvet, brook, gram negative bacterial infections, etc.) in your tank, consider after washing down as Meredith discussed in the link above, washing the tank and equipment with hydrogen peroxide. It will completely destroy all carbon based compounds (life forms) adhering to the tank walls and equipment. Lots of labs use HP to clean their equipment. Just use eye protection and chemically resistant gloves, as HP can do some funky things to your skin, eyes, etc. CAUTION and SAFETY always!

OP
OP
sscg

sscg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add my 2 cents worth here. If you have had a really disturbing disease (uronema, velvet, brook, gram negative bacterial infections, etc.) in your tank, consider after washing down as Meredith discussed in the link above, washing the tank and equipment with hydrogen peroxide. It will completely destroy all carbon based compounds (life forms) adhering to the tank walls and equipment. Lots of labs use HP to clean their equipment. Just use eye protection and chemically resistant gloves, as HP can do some funky things to your skin, eyes, etc. CAUTION and SAFETY always!
I'll do that!! better safe than sorry. Thank you! ;Happy

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back