How to Disinfect/Sanitize DI Part of RO/DI unit?

Ditryin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've found lots of posts online explaining to how disinfect/sanitize an RO unit but none really talk about the DI side. In one post a guy said he had mold in his DI cartridge (ewwww!), so I'm thinking I need to disinfect it but I want to do it right. It's a 7-stage pro BRS unit I bought six months ago and the DI unit is made up of 3 cartridges of the color-changing resins. How can I disinfect them without damaging the resins? Do I leave the resins in? Do I pour them out? (Seems like there would be a lot of funk in between them)

I also have a booster pump. In my head it doesn't make sense to sterilize everything else but not do something to clean the funk inside the pump. Any thoughts on this?

And when I put everything back together I bought some non-toxic, silicon grease for kitchen faucets -- that should be safe to lube up the seals when I screw the canisters back on, right? The BRS folks put them on so tight, I'm hoping we can get them off without breaking the canisters.

Thanks!!!

Diane

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your manual should have directions on how to clean the canisters, and you absolutely need to take out the cartridges. I have a spectrapure RO/DI and in that manual they say to use dish soap and warm water to clean. I've only done it once or twice and when I change the filters. I would not worry about the booster pump as that should be before all the filters if I remember correctly. Certainly before the RO membrane and the DI canisters. Good luck

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry much about disinfecting tbh. I’ve never disinfected mine. If your water has biological contaminants I’m not sure this will help long term.

wash with dish soap and rinse well if you notice any residue. Throw away the resin and filters. I just rinse mine and never had issues.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always at scheduled filter change for me. If system has a pressure tank empty it and save water for canister final rinsing. It no tank make RO/DI and set aside. Remove all filters from canisters and discard. Discard DI resins. Clean canisters with sponge on a stick using very mild diluted dishwashing solution. Rinse everything well, first with regular tap then final rinse with RO/DI set aside. Add new cartridges and resin.I only do this at filter changes. If you have a pressure tank, this is what occasionally can require a sterilization.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I change out a filter or di resin stage, I wash the housing in warm water and dish soap and rinse well. I also add a bit of vegetable oil or molykote to the o-ring before reinstalling the housing. Helps prevent binding and shearing of the o-ring.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the 1 Step No Rinse Cleaner you can find it in the Beer Making store.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back