When Should RO/DI cartridges be replaced?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you determine when to replace RO/DI cartridges?

Based on TDS rising to a certain point?

DI based on color of resin?

Any rule of thumb about how many gallons of water should be expected from a set of cartridges?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you determine when to replace RO/DI cartridges?

Based on TDS rising to a certain point?

DI based on color of resin?

Any rule of thumb about how many gallons of water should be expected from a set of cartridges?

When the water output TDS reading starts to rise.

You should be getting a TDS reading of ZERO on the output. As the cartridges begin to deplete, you will see TDS begin to rise.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All depends on incoming tds really. I went 5 years on my RO membranes and they were still in good working condition.

i get ~340 tds in and 8tds out. I change my sediment every couple months. Change my carbons out every couple months. Then I have 3 DI chambers. Once my first one is completly brown and my second shows a little bit of color change I replace the first one but move the second one in the first spot.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Spectapure has in line and out line at every stage. I do the Sediment and carbon block every 6 months, the maxcap when it shows 1ppm usually two years, and the silica buster when I shows 1ppm. That's usually at the 3 year mark. These are both the high capacity. I change my membrane when it goes below 95% rejection. In my system that shows roughly 5ppm on the meter when coming directly from the membrane. So far that has been at the five year mark. My unit has self flushing so I flush after and before making water. I have never had my final stage above 1 ppm in the whole time I've owned the unit.

Your mileage may vary as my TDS coming in is 90ish and my psi is 80 into the house. So I get probably much longer than most. We do have sandy sediment so I HAVE to change sediment filter at 6 months or it gets too sandy.

Edited to add this is why I bought the best RODI I could. The meters have saved me tons of money, no guess work on which filter needs replacing.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Spectapure has in line and out line at every stage. I do the Sediment and carbon block every 6 months, the maxcap when it shows 1ppm usually two years, and the silica buster when I shows 1ppm. That's usually at the 3 year mark. These are both the high capacity. I change my membrane when it goes below 95% rejection. In my system that shows roughly 5ppm on the meter when coming directly from the membrane. So far that has been at the five year mark. My unit has self flushing so I flush after and before making water. I have never had my final stage above 1 ppm in the whole time I've owned the unit.

Your mileage may vary as my TDS coming in is 90ish and my psi is 80 into the house. So I get probably much longer than most. We do have sandy sediment so I HAVE to change sediment filter at 6 months or it gets too sandy.

Edited to add this is why I bought the best RODI I could. The meters have saved me tons of money, no guess work on which filter needs replacing.
I do this too. Very similar numbers and timing. Spectrapure all the way.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sediment filters based on pressure drop across the filter.
Carbon filters based on gallons used compared to spec on filter for chlorine or chloromines
Membrane when rejection rate drops to a certain level I use 97%
DI resin color and/or TDS reading

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back