How to dispose of a zoa?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a frag I got from my LFS that didn't make it (SPS) but has a 2 zoas attached to the frag as well. I want to get rid of the frag and tbh not a fan of the zoas. I am at college so I don't have anything to frag them with. The frag plug isn't in good shape -- GHA algae everywhere, some red turf algae, dead coral, etc.. so I just want to get rid of the frag.

I know they are animals/isn't humane to just throw out/etc.. but :rolleyes: is it safe to just throw the frag out or is there a risk they when they dry out, they could release toxins?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, it's safe to just throw it in the trash. Just make sure you wash your hands properly and they are known to release toxins when damaged or boiled.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, it's safe to just throw it in the trash. Just make sure you wash your hands properly and they are known to release toxins when damaged or boiled.
yeah I use gloves and all that jazz and wash my hands with soap after (anytime I put my hands in the tank). I wasn't sure if 'damaged' was considered the same as slowly dry out

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yeah I use gloves and all that jazz and wash my hands with soap after (anytime I put my hands in the tank). I wasn't sure if 'damaged' was considered the same as slowly dry out
Yeah, drying them out isn’t damaging. I meant like squeezing or pulling them.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag I got from my LFS that didn't make it (SPS) but has a 2 zoas attached to the frag as well. I want to get rid of the frag and tbh not a fan of the zoas. I am at college so I don't have anything to frag them with. The frag plug isn't in good shape -- GHA algae everywhere, some red turf algae, dead coral, etc.. so I just want to get rid of the frag.

I know they are animals/isn't humane to just throw out/etc.. but :rolleyes: is it safe to just throw the frag out or is there a risk they when they dry out, they could release toxins?
what kind of zoas are they, maybe your LFS will take them off your hands?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure you could find someone on here, or put it on craigslist. Probably find a new person that would want to test the waters with it.

Yeah I usually would try to let someone else enjoy them or my LFS but I wouldn’t feeL comfortable be giving someone a frag plug with all that extra nuisance algae on it. It’s honestly more of a headache then it was worth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back