How to Euthanize a Crustacean

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an arrow crab that has had 2 run ins with my emerald crab and now lost both pincers. Should I euthanize it? It's been over 6 months since the first pincer got ripped off and there's only a nub there. Should I euthanize it and if so what's the best way to do it? I'm afraid it will starve to death otherwise.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Don’t kill the crab! Separate the crabs so they don’t hurt each other anymore. After the stressor is gone the claws will regenerate just fine. Have handled a few hundred arrows in my life :)

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate emerald crabs as they have killed several acros by constantly picking at them.
Still have 4 to remove.
Put is sump or fuge if you have one.
Give it to someone or lfs as they will grow back.
My emeralds are banished to the sump when I remove them.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it away or to a LFS. If you’re backed into a corner and have to euthanize it, put it in a bag of water and put it in the freezer. The gradual drop in temp is a peaceful way to go. At least according to victims of near death hypothermia.

OP
OP
See Gee Sea

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You (CRUSHtacean) them under your boot ?

Seriously though. Why not give it away to a local store ?
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I wanted to keep the arrow crab missing the pincers and keep it from starving. I will sump the emerald - if I ever see the oversized bugger again!

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to freezer an urchin in our last tank. No LFS or reefers around and he kept moving corals. His name was Zeke. My son loved him. That was a hard swallow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back