How to euthanize a fish

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one of the store bought traps - built up some rocks around it so that it looked like a cave - I kept the door open for 2-3 days - put food in it and let (a lemon peel angel) just come in and get it until it was used to the trap - the 3rd day I got it immediately after putting food in. But - it was a 7 day battle before that. It just would not go in. Until after I left lol - also the bigger trap door is less stressful in the commercial version

Trying that currently. I wonder though if putting some clove oil in a turkey baster and dosing him with it will slow him down. I usually feed out of a turkey baster so he's not afraid of it.

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never catch him!! Throw the whole tank away! Forget it ever existed and never ever buy another damsel!! My first nano....eeeks I can’t even talk about that blue devil!!!

Actually just move!

i guess.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying that currently. I wonder though if putting some clove oil in a turkey baster and dosing him with it will slow him down. I usually feed out of a turkey baster so he's not afraid of it.

I think there are better options than clove oil than this - that will be easier to remove from the tank. But any of them (including clove oil) will likely kill the fish.

Doc Lemonjello

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are better options than clove oil than this - that will be easier to remove from the tank. But any of them (including clove oil) will likely kill the fish.

I'm open to suggestions. At this point I'm considering cross-dressing as a female Azure Damsel and trying to lure him into the net. You know like Bugs Bunny used to do with a little bow and some false eyelashes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm open to suggestions. At this point I'm considering cross-dressing as a female Azure Damsel and trying to lure him into the net. You know like Bugs Bunny used to do with a little bow and some false eyelashes.
get a plexiglass fish trap with the trap door that allows you to put food inside - and dont put any other food in the tank except in that plaece

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of no safe ways to stun fish.

Both co2 and electricity are used in aquaculture. But neither is actually safe on the fish. Co2 comes with risk of irreparable damage at certain levels.

And electricity produces super high cortisol levels.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back