How to feed my hammer

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a small hammer coral and I try to feed mysis but I never see it react to being fed. How do I get this thing to eat?

C97D56AB-8698-46D8-B842-48EB77016566.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you shoot mysis into its 'tentacles' they will catch the mysis. Even if you dont see it eating, I'm sure it is. I also feed mine reef roids. They don't need to eat - it just helps them grow faster

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using a turkey baster, you can feed dry ( roids or Reef frenzy) or frozen (brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plankton) direct into coral gently

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dont really like mysis unless I let them sit with the flow off for a while or they have their sweepers out and i can get them to catch it. Reef roids seems to do them alot better.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dont really like mysis unless I let them sit with the flow off for a while or they have their sweepers out and i can get them to catch it. Reef roids seems to do them alot better.
I never see mine send out sweepers. But it’s split into two heads and I’ve only had it like two months so I guess it’s doing ok.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you shoot mysis into its 'tentacles' they will catch the mysis. Even if you dont see it eating, I'm sure it is. I also feed mine reef roids. They don't need to eat - it just helps them grow faster
You mean sweepers or just the hammer tentacles period? Mine has literally never sent out sweepers but it’s split into two heads so I guess it’s doing it’s thing.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, right into it. Itll start to close up and thats good.
See I figured it would but mine must be defective. I always turn off my flow when I feed and I cover this thing In mysis and it just sits there doing nothing. I think it’s mocking me.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all pumps, I feed reef roids and mysis either or, and leave pumps off for 45 minutes. You will see them slowly pull it towards there mouth

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 different hammers and only 2 will eat larger pieces like mysis. The others seem to have no interest so I am assuming they grab small pieces that float by or get enough just from fish waste. Don't get hung up trying to feed something that doesn't want to eat. Itll get what it craves elsewhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back