How to feed urchin

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding your urchins? I have a baseball sized urchin in my tank that roams the entire tank leaving white trails on the rocks and gulping all the coraline. I noticed the other day that my montipora was nipped on. I was guessing that hes hungry and needing a little something extra. I tried giving him a little nori but it was very hard to slip it under him with the needles getting in the way.
How are you all feeding yours? Or should I rehome him to someone with a bigger tank? I only have a 25g.

csturgis1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding your urchins? I have a baseball sized urchin in my tank that roams the entire tank leaving white trails on the rocks and gulping all the coraline. I noticed the other day that my montipora was nipped on. I was guessing that hes hungry and needing a little something extra. I tried giving him a little nori but it was very hard to slip it under him with the needles getting in the way.
How are you all feeding yours? Or should I rehome him to someone with a bigger tank? I only have a 25g.
What kind of urchin do you have? My pincushion urchin finds my nori clip and devours it all. They never seem to stop eating so if it is going after your corals and is that big in a 25 gallon tank it may be time to re home.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nori clip my urchin carries around.
20230813_201135.jpg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else said above, it may be time to consider rehoming. A baseball sized urchin in a 25 gallon sounds like it’d be cool to see, but difficult to keep fed! Maybe you could swap your urchin for a tuxedo urchin.

Anyways, I have fed nori strips/sheets in the past when algae or food was running low. Placing a piece of nori under a small rock or something to keep it weighed down on the bottom of the tank always seemed to work best.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 94 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back