How to feed urchin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Floyd-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Floyd-

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2021
Messages
990
Reaction score
745
Location
Fort Walton Beach, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding your urchins? I have a baseball sized urchin in my tank that roams the entire tank leaving white trails on the rocks and gulping all the coraline. I noticed the other day that my montipora was nipped on. I was guessing that hes hungry and needing a little something extra. I tried giving him a little nori but it was very hard to slip it under him with the needles getting in the way.
How are you all feeding yours? Or should I rehome him to someone with a bigger tank? I only have a 25g.
 
How are you feeding your urchins? I have a baseball sized urchin in my tank that roams the entire tank leaving white trails on the rocks and gulping all the coraline. I noticed the other day that my montipora was nipped on. I was guessing that hes hungry and needing a little something extra. I tried giving him a little nori but it was very hard to slip it under him with the needles getting in the way.
How are you all feeding yours? Or should I rehome him to someone with a bigger tank? I only have a 25g.
What kind of urchin do you have? My pincushion urchin finds my nori clip and devours it all. They never seem to stop eating so if it is going after your corals and is that big in a 25 gallon tank it may be time to re home.
 
Nori clip my urchin carries around.
20230813_201135.jpg
 
As someone else said above, it may be time to consider rehoming. A baseball sized urchin in a 25 gallon sounds like it’d be cool to see, but difficult to keep fed! Maybe you could swap your urchin for a tuxedo urchin.

Anyways, I have fed nori strips/sheets in the past when algae or food was running low. Placing a piece of nori under a small rock or something to keep it weighed down on the bottom of the tank always seemed to work best.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new