How to filter a large tank with minimal working space.

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping a 1000 gallon freshwater tank for the last 6 years and am now researching changing over to a saltwater tank. I inherited this tank when I purchased the house so although there are issues I personally have with its design I am stuck with how it is. The 1000 gallon tank is built into the wall of our basement living room with a maintenance room behind it. Unfortunately space is tight back here. There is approximately 26.5" x 25.5" of room to the side of the tank to work with. Within this space I have a 50-gallon drum acting as a DIY sump where I perform mechanical filtration. I then pump the water through a large pond filter (an Ultima II 1000) for biological filtration. This relatively small footprint has managed a freshwater tank wonderfully for the past 6 years.

I have looked at adding a sump below the main tank but the number of supporting beams would prevent placing anything of significant size under it and I have very little room to crawl under there to service it anyways. Beside this area for filtration I then have an additional 50-gallon drum where I hold water for weekly water changes. Just beyond that and along the back wall is a small stand (underneath this is equipment from a sauna plumbed on the other side of the wall so can't get rid of this for more space). I typically house 2 small aquariums to act as quarantine tanks on top of that. I could do away with them and have potential space there. I would just have to have a quarantine tank elsewhere.

I am looking for ideas on how best to allow for appropriate filtration within this limited space. I have included pictures to help understand what I am working with.

WtfAdlu.jpg

2VZmm3w.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can subvert quarantine by buying from places like drreefsquarantinedfish.com and reefcleaners.org. Could cut down on the area needed. As far as a sump goes size isn't a huge factor. Enough to be able to grow macro and house a skimmer is enough. Bonus points if you can fit your heaters in. However with a 1000g tank it will be an issue.

What is your expected outcome for the tank? Coral? Fish only? SPS dominant? These questions will determine the necessary route.

OP
OP
S

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly FOWLR only at first though I would like to be able to add coral later. I would not like to be limited due to not taking that into consideration up front for sure.

Heaters currently fit in my 50-gallon drum and have kept the tank at 80 degrees year round without issue. They have been controlled by an inkbird temperature controller. The tank typically sits around 73 degrees otherwise.

If the large pond filter for biological filtration is not needed when moving to saltwater then removing would leave space for an externally plumbed skimmer I think.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only has far less requirements than keeping coral. You don't need to be overly concerned about the parameters. In a heavy SPS system you'll have far stricter requirements.

I would not keep the pond filter, or the 50g drum for that matter. Replacing both with a glass or plexi sump would be a better route and make maintenance easier on you. Due to the tank size a large skimmer and heaters will be required. Beyond that, you'll just need space to grow some macro algae and fit in the return pump.

If plans for coral down the road, and with that large of a system, you don't want nitrate getting crazy high. A large water change for most has a different meaning for you.

My thoughts for a tank that size would be the sump plan I mentioned as well as an auto water change system once corals come into view.

Take a look through the member large tanks forum. You'll get a better idea of how people are managing.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R BTW!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. Regarding a refugium and skimmer what would be a good size to look into for these?
Generally as big as you can get lol. In your case check to see recommended skimmer size as well as how big your heaters are. Then make sure the sump has big enough compartments for both and also a place for a refugium.

Here is a good read for what else may come. Also, when switching from fresh to salt, the tank will need to be thoroughly cleaned before getting wet again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back