How to frag Blasto's

  • Thread starter Thread starter RZ5T
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
513
Reaction score
14
Location
Billings, MT
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small colony of the PPE Blasto's and I'm wanting to frag them. They have lots of "babies" that are grown down on the plug, but is there a way to get them off without cutting the plug?

What options do I have to get these babies off the plug?


Here's a pic of the colony to give you an idea of what I have to work with.
PPEBlastos.jpg
 
The problem with the PPE blastos is that they are not the branching variety, so the polyps are quite a bit closer together. I have seen that variation cut with both a bandsaw and dremmel, with both being a success. IMO, it will not be possible to get the babies fragged off the plug, or even just fragged without committing to frag the whole thing.
 
the key with them too is conditioning in advance. They dont feed as readily or easily as other Mussids (such as Acans. As such they are literally weaker and usually slower to heal (or even tolerate) aggressive fragging techniques. Be sure your specimens have been in the same place for a couple months and showing hearty polyp cycles. Then, to play it safe, cut between corallites. Normally you dont have to do this for hardy Mussids and Faviids; you can literally saw right through healthy polyps and they will be fine. Not so often with Blastos. Tiptoe to be safe.
 
So I'll probably just cut a small frag off the colony using a dremel. And allow the small frag to grow out on a large disk for selling/trading so I can allow the original colony to grow out onto the rock.


Thanks for the help guys!
 
they're just like zoas/palys... simply pluck em off at the base.

:D



(yes, i'm j/k)
 
LOL that's what I was thinking!
 
Last edited:
i would def take care and use a dremel or better yet band saw. i would remove them from the plug before doing it and then reattach with superglue to new plugs
 
Good advice on the tools above. I will back up Anthony and say "conditioning in advance" or let the babies mature or grow to a stable level. Since I am not totally sure what you want. I with throw this in the wind and hope it helps. If the babies are mature enough break off the mother and remount it to another plug. You will keep your mother colony and give your babies more light so they can grow faster. Hope this helps.
 
I am not sure you can frag those things without losing a polyp or two. If I had to, I would use a dremel with a diamond saw (Thin blade). It requires a steady hand but I think that's your best option.
 
IMO, I’d wait until that colony doubles or even triples first!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new