How to frag?

Newbie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High everyone I have a 80 gal reef tank. I have three jets on the right side. Two of them are random flow and the one in the back towards the bottom is a consistent flow. I have an Kessil AP700.i took close up pictures and an overall picture of what I want to frag. My question is how do I frag? And most importantly, where do I put my frag rack? Do I simply place it on the floor? Do I glue it to my magnet and have the rack somewhere higher? But if I do that I’ll have to put it to the sides or front which will be a lower par. And then the question is flow, high? Low?

please let me know!

C3B862D3-B1CE-4DBB-8897-B4D475706AB1.jpeg 8D13D9DB-EA6F-4464-B541-9CBBDB3A4427.jpeg CD2E4E5E-48A1-42FD-8373-78375BBC1AFB.jpeg 7DF95C80-2D50-4F8C-9637-C41DA3564494.jpeg FC0F1556-2C34-4D4E-A09E-AFFD0A312572.jpeg BBC02E04-5492-46B3-9CC6-E2A44777B27F.jpeg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh yes so it’s personal preference ideally in lower par so the frags can heal up.. don’t bombard the rack with flow but medium flow is good... now to start with the fragging you want to be able to remove the rock if you can’t let me know because the dragging process will be dependent on that...

OP
OP
Newbie1

Newbie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I want to say a BIG thank you Oscar! I had to post three times to get a response lol.so as you see in my overall pic of the tank, should I place the rack directly in the middle floor (get that good light). Or do I glue the rack to a magnet and put it to the far left against the glass? You can see the huge difference in lighting. Have you ever had any luck splicing mushrooms? Should I bother fragging GSP or just leave it growing on the walls? And the same question for the pulsating Xenia.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure ! So what I typically do is have my frag racks off to the side I like to mount them on magnets and have them in the front glass or side glasses either works I find the front has a little more light so is better for grow out frags... by splicing do you mean cutting them and trying to get the half’s to grow back with another color mushroom? I have fragmented bounce mushrooms and discosoma and ricordea Florida before... GSP can be dragged so easily it’s up to you tbh it grows like a matt and in many cases and be peeled off and cut... Xenia in my experience can take over a tank, dragging it regularly and giving or selling the frags can keep it from spreading over everything!

OP
OP
Newbie1

Newbie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok as far as the Zoas I think I’m now comfortable to move forward. What do you mean “Dragging”? I have a couple of mushrooms the bright orange ones that I pictured and the ones with green center with orange sides. I really want to frag those because I want more in my tank. I have bright green ones that multiple really well. I think it’s because they are almost on the top shelf and getting crazy light. As to the others they are towards the bottom. So as I seen on the internet, if I cut across the mouth and leave them attached to what ever they are holding and then glue that down to a plug I should be good, correct? With my bright orange one I think I want to risk and frag it out into four sections. Good idea or bad? How much do you sell a frag of GSP or Xenia?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha replace drag with “fragged” sorry autocorrect is annoying... GSP and Xenia can be sold for 10-20 or more depending on the size of the frag and how available it is in your area, many people just give it away or try and trade... so for the mushrooms you can cut them in half or quarters, but make sure to try and sebarate the pieces a little because they can just heal back together ! Try to use the sharpest blade you can as well and after cutting dip them in an iodine dip!

Back