How to fully understand red seas reef foundation dosing charts?

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm having a lot of trouble fully understanding the dosing chart recommendations for a tank, I have a 30 gallon cube and I need some advice on how to does correctly?

Thank you

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I had to do this formula to get mine straight when I dosed it. . .
To start off they're giving the rise in element based on 25 gal water volume.
Part A (ca/sr) for example is 1ml per 25gal will give you a 2ppm rise. So let's say you're at 430 and want 440 in our example. First you need to figure out how many ml will give you that 10ppm rise you need. (Your tank volume/25) (30/25=1.2) So that tells you it will take 1.2ml in a 30gal tank to get the same rise as a 25 gallon tank. Now you want to, let's say, raise 10 ppm. At 2ppm per dose you would need "5 doses" to get 10ppm. Now do (number of doses x ml from first formula = dose amount) (5 x 1.2 = 6ml)
So it would be a 6ml dose to raise 30 gallons up 10ppm Ca. I'm sure there's an easier way to explain, but that's just the way it worked for me. Hope this helps and if need the formulas for other additives let me know, I don't have the alk bottle around so don't have the concentration of it on hand. I do have the Mag on hand though.

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing?

Ok so I had to do this formula to get mine straight when I dosed it. . .
To start off they're giving the rise in element based on 25 gal water volume.
Part A (ca/sr) for example is 1ml per 25gal will give you a 2ppm rise. So let's say you're at 430 and want 440 in our example. First you need to figure out how many ml will give you that 10ppm rise you need. (Your tank volume/25) (30/25=1.2) So that tells you it will take 1.2ml in a 30gal tank to get the same rise as a 25 gallon tank. Now you want to, let's say, raise 10 ppm. At 2ppm per dose you would need "5 doses" to get 10ppm. Now do (number of doses x ml from first formula = dose amount) (5 x 1.2 = 6ml)
So it would be a 6ml dose to raise 30 gallons up 10ppm Ca. I'm sure there's an easier way to explain, but that's just the way it worked for me. Hope this helps and if need the formulas for other additives let me know, I don't have the alk bottle around so don't have the concentration of it on hand. I do have the Mag on hand though.

I have reef foundation A and B. I just was t sure if I read it wrong or just didn't understand it! But you have made it easier for me to understand and I appreciate it! Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back