How to get a Foxface in my tank with Powder Brown Tang.

Ghiapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I have done differently? I purchase a 2 inch One Spot Foxface, and once introduce into the tank he was instantly attacked by a Brown Powder Tang. The Foxface finally found a quiet corner to hide, and spent hours there before lights out. In the morning I found it stuck up against my return Weir. I pulled him out and back into the QT tank where he swam a little bit, but went to the bottom and ended up dying.

I really want a Foxface in my tank, Any tricks to get one in successfully. The BPT has always been very peaceful to all the other tank mates.

Thanks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could I have done differently? I purchase a 2 inch One Spot Foxface, and once introduce into the tank he was instantly attacked by a Brown Powder Tang. The Foxface finally found a quiet corner to hide, and spent hours there before lights out. In the morning I found it stuck up against my return Weir. I pulled him out and back into the QT tank where he swam a little bit, but went to the bottom and ended up dying.

I really want a Foxface in my tank, Any tricks to get one in successfully. The BPT has always been very peaceful to all the other tank mates.

Thanks!
Just had this issue with a tusk and my powder blue. Learned the hard way for sure and I feel horrible that he got attacked like that, but my best suggestion is a tank divider or try to catch the tang and put him in a box and let the fox face become comfortable. This is what I plan to do if I add another fish to my tank since my powder blue is getting nasty to new editions

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch the Tang, you can move it to your QT tank for a month or more while you give your (next) Foxface time to adjust to the system. You can also move the aqua scape around, but I haven’t found that to be necessary.

I’ve had a lot of success doing this with aggressive fish, but alas, it’s not foolproof.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch the Tang, you can move it to your QT tank for a month or more while you give your (next) Foxface time to adjust to the system. You can also move the aqua scape around, but I haven’t found that to be necessary.

I’ve had a lot of success doing this with aggressive fish, but alas, it’s not foolproof.
If you cant catch the tang or aggressive fish, have you ever tried a divider?

OP
OP
G

Ghiapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like a acclimated box, or some type of divider would be the best bet. The tang would be near impossible to catch and remove for a short time, and the rock scape is too established with corals to rearrange. The LFS does have a 5 inch Foxface Lo and a 4" One Spot. I thought I would save a little and get the smaller one.... didn't work out for me!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like a acclimated box, or some type of divider would be the best bet. The tang would be near impossible to catch and remove for a short time, and the rock scape is too established with corals to rearrange. The LFS does have a 5 inch Foxface Lo and a 4" One Spot. I thought I would save a little and get the smaller one.... didn't work out for me!
I added my baby magnificant foxface to my powder blue who cannbe nasty and he was so small she didnt even notice him until he got to be around 2 and a half inches. He was one inch when I got him. She just was like oh cool and didnt bother him

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also always used the mirror trick to distract my established purple tang when adding a new inhabitant (one of which was also a one spot foxface). Many of the other suggestions like removing the tang are better but if not an option the mirror should at least preoccupy the tang.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also always used the mirror trick to distract my established purple tang when adding a new inhabitant (one of which was also a one spot foxface). Many of the other suggestions like removing the tang are better but if not an option the mirror should at least preoccupy the tang.
This is also a good idea but to clarify, I was suggesting putting the foxface in the acclimation box.

OP
OP
G

Ghiapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post an update. Yesterday I was able to get a Foxface in my aquarium. I took suggestions from you guys and fed my tank pretty good prior to putting him in. Like before the Tang chased the Foxface under a rock. The difference this time the Foxface is a 3.5 inches. I used a fish net to keep the tang away from him until he came out himself. The Tang came in and attacked, the Foxface leaned into him and must have stung the Tang, he went to the far end of the tank rubbing on a rock for a few seconds. Minutes later came back for round two, got stung again....now they are best friends, fighting has stopped and they go eat Nori together! Mt little Citron Goby has tried taking the Foxface on, but the One Spot doesn't even give him the time of day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back