tang vs. foxface

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang who is a straight butthole. I tried putting a new foxface of simular size in the aquarium and randomly he will attack him. Other times he seems fine. My Fox is always on edge in that tank so i put the fox in my QT tank for now. Am i able to rearrange my rock work or remove the tang and put him in time out for a few days and reintroduce him? Or am I looking at setting up another tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this in a 40 gal tank?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang who is a straight butthole. I tried putting a new foxface of simular size in the aquarium and randomly he will attack him. Other times he seems fine. My Fox is always on edge in that tank so i put the fox in my QT tank for now. Am i able to rearrange my rock work or remove the tang and put him in time out for a few days and reintroduce him? Or am I looking at setting up another tank?
Rearranging should work, I have a Naso and and a Foxface and they are buddies. But I did put them in the tank at the same time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a bit more information like tank size, species of tang, an FTS may also help us with seeing territory available.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface and tang are friendemy's. They hang out all the time and occasionally battle for a second. They battled more at first and the foxface would point its spine at the tang. Like 2 old men. Have you tried a mirror for the tang. The tang would hate it's twin much more than the foxface.

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the suspect.

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 24

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the suspect.
Yep mines butthole as well. But my foxy is bigger and after one toe to toe my Tang basically blinked and said nope. They’re fine with each other now , in fact the one fish the Tang is total jerk to is my orange spot blenny .

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh those are buttholes to new fish. I would wait until your 125 is up and introduce the foxface first
Thats what I'm thinking to. That Tang I believe murdered my flame angel about a month ago. was random to, didn't see no signs of aggression or anything. Just a dead angel with a chunk missing in his head.

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird. The tang is fine with everything else. Puffer, Clowns, Damsels ect. Thought the foxy would be ok.. Learning curve i guess.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait isn’t that a Tomini? They have a reputation as being aggressive? Mine has never been bad, although every fish has a different temperament.

You can also try placing a mirror by the tank so the tang sees its own reflection. It may focus on the reflection so much that it doesn’t pay attention to the foxface. I have to do this anytime I add a new fish to my tank that has an established purple tang in it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait isn’t that a Tomini? They have a reputation as being aggressive? Mine has never been bad, although every fish has a different temperament.

You can also try placing a mirror by the tank so the tang sees its own reflection. It may focus on the reflection so much that it doesn’t pay attention to the foxface. I have to do this anytime I add a new fish to my tank that has an established purple tang in it.
Yes they can be! Bristletooths can be nasty!!! Ive had two so far, the first one was NASTY. Had to re home, she kept trying to kill fish double her size. The one I have now is feisty but the last fish added so he knows to back down

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can be! Bristletooths can be nasty!!! Ive had two so far, the first one was NASTY. Had to re home, she kept trying to kill fish double her size. The one I have now is feisty but the last fish added so he knows to back down
From my experience and reading they were fairly low on the list of aggressive tangs. I actually found a list on another thread after posting that and it put as one of the least aggressive tangs.
Not to discredit your experience like I said each individual fish is different.

Maybe mine was just put in his place by my much more aggressive purple tang.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back