How to get bouncing mushrooms

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after looking at sbbs corals new mushroom thread I've decided I want to get mushrooms. I've had ricordeas and floridas but I eant to know more about the exotics like bounce mushrooms. The one question is I know mushrooms can bounce and bubble but what kind and how

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade secret
shhh-pls-shhh.gif

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a lot of theories. the most prevalent one is that ultra-high par and especially high UV can trigger bouncing, as a sort of defense mechanism. However that hasn't really been tested, and if it has it's been done by vendors and they've been selling the shrooms they make lol
Just keep in mind that shrooms like the OG bounce and Sunkist were collected from amazingly shallow water (deep enough to wade in at low tide, if my memory serves me right) and thus would be exposed to this high light at all times. But who knows, it could be anything. Some strains of "bounced" shrooms will lose their bounces after a while (like Juggernaut and others), which tells me that they aren't bounced in the same way.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a lot of theories. the most prevalent one is that ultra-high par and especially high UV can trigger bouncing, as a sort of defense mechanism. However that hasn't really been tested, and if it has it's been done by vendors and they've been selling the shrooms they make lol
Just keep in mind that shrooms like the OG bounce and Sunkist were collected from amazingly shallow water (deep enough to wade in at low tide, if my memory serves me right) and thus would be exposed to this high light at all times. But who knows, it could be anything. Some strains of "bounced" shrooms will lose their bounces after a while (like Juggernaut and others), which tells me that they aren't bounced in the same way.
So at the moment its not determined?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at the moment its not determined?
Not to my knowledge, no. There was a hundred-odd page thread on here years ago about the mechanisms of bouncing, search "how to make bounce mushrooms" in google and it should be the first thing to crop up. Lots of neat info on that thread!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these "bouncing"? Lol
...seriously.
Lol. I think the last one is a st. Thomas mushroom.
D

Attachments

• 20220225_140849.jpg
    20220225_140849.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220225_140938.jpg
    20220225_140938.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220225_141029.jpg
    20220225_141029.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 57

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is covered in mushrooms. They came in on the rocks and have split or bred and mutated into a few different combinations of traits. Actually an interesting study in genetics I suppose. Anyways many of them have small bumps, but there is one with a bigger bump than most. That one is right in the middle on a high ledge under intense light. I notice more bumps in general on the high up ones if they managed to get the "bumpy" trait when they were born. I can post a pic tonight.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is covered in mushrooms. They came in on the rocks and have split or bred and mutated into a few different combinations of traits. Actually an interesting study in genetics I suppose. Anyways many of them have small bumps, but there is one with a bigger bump than most. That one is right in the middle on a high ledge under intense light. I notice more bumps in general on the high up ones if they managed to get the "bumpy" trait when they were born. I can post a pic tonight.
Could i see?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could i see?
Here is one from the spot where the original parents were
regular.jpg

Windex version
windex.jpg

And here is one from a much brighter spot
regular bounced.jpg

Windex version:
bounced windex.jpg

It's far back so hard to get a sharp picture but you can see a prominent bubble forming there. The others that are in even brighter light have similar bumps but are impossible to photograph from the sides of the tank.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been steadily raising my lightening for weeks now and my green yuma I've had for almost two years is beginning to bounce for what it's worth. I also have an OG bounce and Godzilla bounce and the OG seems to hate direct light and the Godzilla seems to like it so... who knows. If you want the godzilla I know the people to go to for the "true" ones. plenty of people sell the regular godzilla yuma as the bounce one. @GHOSTLY

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back