How to get clownfish to breed?

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

so I have two sexually mature pairs of clownfish.
All roughly 2- 2 and a half years old.

they are both bonded pairs.

I know there are threads on clownfish breeding but I just wanted to know if there’s any updates on what has worked for people to encourage clownfish to breed.

Conditions in the tanks are perfect.
0 ammonia
0nitrite
0 nitrate
Ph 8
Salinity 1.022 in both tanks
I’ve raised the temp to 82.
Left lights on for 15hours per day.

they are both being fed heavily with probiotix nutri pellets and garlic induced frozen brine shrimp.

any suggestions on what I can do differently for them to do the deed?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

so I have two sexually mature pairs of clownfish.
All roughly 2- 2 and a half years old.

they are both bonded pairs.

I know there are threads on clownfish breeding but I just wanted to know if there’s any updates on what has worked for people to encourage clownfish to breed.

Conditions in the tanks are perfect.
0 ammonia
0nitrite
0 nitrate
Ph 8
Salinity 1.022 in both tanks
I’ve raised the temp to 82.
Left lights on for 15hours per day.

they are both being fed heavily with probiotix nutri pellets and garlic induced frozen brine shrimp.

any suggestions on what I can do differently for them to do the deed?

Better foods. Pellets and brine shrimp? Bleh.

Feed LRS, fresh clam (the kinds humans eat not the stuff made for fish), live worms, feed feed feed... feed. Increase feedings then feed some more. Quality food! Feed them better than you feed yourself.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better foods. Pellets and brine shrimp? Bleh.

Feed LRS, fresh clam (the kinds humans eat not the stuff made for fish), live worms, feed feed feed... feed. Increase feedings then feed some more. Quality food! Feed them better than you feed yourself.
Okay great! I’ll go pick some up tomorrow!

would you do water changes every few days, I’m currently doing one per week.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe water changes are critical, mine like to spawn when there is algae growth.

I have two pairs of clowns as well. One pair started breeding on their own and they eat pellets most days. LRS frozen others. One pair started on their own and spawn consistently, the other pair started spawning and after their second spawn, I rearranged the tank and they have not spawned since. There is a certain amount of let it be that’s necessary in my opinion.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe water changes are critical, mine like to spawn when there is algae growth.

I have two pairs of clowns as well. One pair started breeding on their own and they eat pellets most days. LRS frozen others. One pair started on their own and spawn consistently, the other pair started spawning and after their second spawn, I rearranged the tank and they have not spawned since. There is a certain amount of let it be that’s necessary in my opinion.
Great! I’ll start doing water changes every 2 weeks. How often do you top up with RO to maintain salinity?

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change the lighting to 12/12 and raise the temp to around 80-82f. This is what I put my tank to when I moved my clowns to their own tank for breeding. They were spawning within a month.

Also feed them very heavily at least 2-3 times a day.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change the lighting to 12/12 and raise the temp to around 80-82f.
Also feed them very heavily at least 2 times a day.
Thank you! Ahh yes one of my questions I forgot to ask, how heavy is too heavy? My clowns are greedy soda and I never know when I’ve fed them too much as they always want more even after sooooo many pellets or shrimp!
I’m thinking of getting some raw prawns from supermarket, would 1 prawn cut up be enough for 2 clowns?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more variety of foods the better the chance. They also have to feel secure in order for it to happen. If there’s other fish in with them or not enough hiding space it may take a lot longer.

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them until they stop eating and remove any excess that falls to the bottom of the tank.
I really like LRS foods, you should check them out.
I can’t find LRS for sale online. I’m based in the UK

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more variety of foods the better the chance. They also have to feel secure in order for it to happen. If there’s other fish in with them or not enough hiding space it may take a lot longer.
They are in a breeding tank, no other fish and clay pot as a hiding spot

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine spawn all the time and I don't do anything special. They eat pellet food.

I think it's just something they'll do when they are ready and happy.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't do anything special. Fed flakes and pellets. Once they start they'll spawn every few weeks.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I’ll start doing water changes every 2 weeks. How often do you top up with RO to maintain salinity?
I use an Auto top off system to maintain salinity within my tank. For the fry tank, I drip RO water to maintain salinity.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like @Baldguy and @mindme, I don't do anything special and mine just started laying eggs...on a rock in the open. It's happened twice in the last few weeks. Just feeding small pellets twice a day. H2O temp 78-79.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a breeding tank, no other fish and clay pot as a hiding spot
Seems that the clay pot is a staple of the clown fish breeding, I've seen it in most breeding videos.
Doesn't it leach stuff like lead into the water? This might not be a problem in a dedicated breeding tank with frequent water changes but I wonder if anyone uses it in a regular community tank or if people use a different approach in that case?

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a pair that just started spawning don’t know if it has anything to do with it or coincidence, but I added moonlight with the lunar cycle within about 3 weeks they had there first clutch. Only feed pellets and mysis soaked in selcon.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't do anything special with my 13 year old clowns either. Mostly were on pellet food when they started regular spawning several years ago. I did noticed they stopped spawning when I cut back feeding every day. When I boosted up feeding again they were back at it. I feed a mix of foods now and they are regular spawners about once a month. I think my lights are at 12 hours.

Mine generally spawn in the afternoon/evening.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back