How to get clownfish to stop biting me

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set a bottle of tartar sauce and malt vinegar next to the tank where they can see it before putting your hand in the tank.
A4D28525-8067-408E-B5C9-31DEA6CA4DD7.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some nitrile gloves. It may still bite, but offer some protection. Or use tongs instead of hands.
I did this yesterday and it actually worked! I think because my net is black and it knows I’ll cage it to do what I gotta do it learned.. I wore a black nitrile glove counting on getting bit when I grabbed a torch next to nem to move it and my clown didn’t bother me for once! Didn’t care at all..

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got out of the hobby 15 years ago I owned several tanks and worked at 2 top quality lfs's. I never so much as heard of clowns attacking their owner. First live rock now this? What did you guys do to the hobby while I was gone?! :grinning-squinting-face:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I got out of the hobby 15 years ago I owned several tanks and worked at 2 top quality lfs's. I never so much as heard of clowns attacking their owner. First live rock now this? What did you guys do to the hobby while I was gone?! :grinning-squinting-face:
Depends on the species. Maroons are a pain in the butt err hand.. mine would always go for the web between the thumb and index finger. The 4 designer clowns in my current tank (280) just look for food weather I am inside the tank or walking by :)

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have one that does it. all of my others dont. i have a total of 4, but only 2 of them are kept together. the other two arent paired any longer so i had to seperate them. the ones that are paired, the male is the one that attacks, but isnt constant. hes not like a piranha, but he will come after my hand, most likely defending territory if im near it

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this yesterday and it actually worked! I think because my net is black and it knows I’ll cage it to do what I gotta do it learned.. I wore a black nitrile glove counting on getting bit when I grabbed a torch next to nem to move it and my clown didn’t bother me for once! Didn’t care at all..
Yup, black nitrile gloves (get at Home Depot painting section) and you’ll be left alone! I have a pair of 17 y/o cinnamon clowns and the female can make my hand bleed. Those gloves on and she won’t come near me.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bleed into the water more so it can't see your hand...

Joking aside, I gotta try this glove thing. I tried the whole "Just ignore it and it will stop" thing and it didn't work with mine. She has now started to try to get at my hand above the tank, she splashed me in the face the other day.

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species. Maroons are a pain in the butt err hand.. mine would always go for the web between the thumb and index finger. The 4 designer clowns in my current tank (280) just look for food weather I am inside the tank or walking by :)
What are you doing with your maroons?!?!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back