How to get crystal clear water

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 evo mixed reef with sps, lps, softie, and zoas. About 10 months now
Oh nice okay well cancel the UV then I also had a evo 13.5 had super clear water but also had the tank bare bottom ran filter floss in media basket up top where overflow was. Second slot was carbon and that was it.

Attachments

• C7EFBF78-2B16-4EE5-92AD-3776C220EBBE.jpeg
    C7EFBF78-2B16-4EE5-92AD-3776C220EBBE.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 610CCC90-A686-4F03-8A1E-242EB2DC55EE.jpeg
    610CCC90-A686-4F03-8A1E-242EB2DC55EE.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 36

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A49F26C1-2F72-4B9F-914E-6708BD050F0A.jpeg
1B6A8BB1-773B-4D25-BD88-B69F764B7156.jpeg
I got this tank crystal clear by rinsing out my sand bed now I don’t get dust storms anymore I also run filter floss and no carbon I also feed a little since I have 2 fish

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice okay well cancel the UV then I also had a evo 13.5 had super clear water but also had the tank bare bottom ran filter floss in media basket up top where overflow was. Second slot was carbon and that was it.
Chamber 1 is a reactor and chamber 2 is a fuge. I have floss final chamber for all the bits coming out

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wash your sand? What do you mean
I basically rinsed my sand 100+ times so it can run clear then I soaked it in RO water and then added it to display. Before anytime my snails or crabs would mess with the sand it would send particles and cloud it up

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically rinsed my sand 100+ times so it can run clear then I soaked it in RO water and then added it to display. Before anytime my snails or crabs would mess with the sand it would send particles and cloud it up
I rinsed mine twice and just did a water change each day

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also love the middle!!: such a unique take. It would be cool with zoas
Thank you ! I’m planing on getting more zoas
0B0C5F2F-D67F-4137-95F5-13516EC8DF72.jpeg
the lens cap I used was a bit smudged.

I rinsed mine twice and just did a water change each day
I was dealing with a bad Dino outbreak so I did a rip clean because I was having nutrient issues. But I thought I’d give you a suggestion since rinsing sand is free

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ! I’m planing on getting more zoas
0B0C5F2F-D67F-4137-95F5-13516EC8DF72.jpeg
the lens cap I used was a bit smudged.

I was dealing with a bad Dino outbreak so I did a rip clean because I was having nutrient issues. But I thought I’d give you a suggestion since rinsing sand is free
I’m thankful I have only coralline growing. Apart from that small bit of smudgy algae on the glass it’s only coralline

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a small tank you wouldn't need a large ozone generator.

There are small units meant to disinfect fruits and veggies that even have a pump and come with tubing and an air stone for $20ish.

Sounds like you want to try carbon first, and I would as well, but don't trick yourself into thinking ozone/uv on a small tank has to be expensive.hth

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all questions must be answered in a best case scenario mode? With no regard to the person asking the question? One size fits all?
Perhaps it would be better to state something like “ well the best methods to get what you’re looking for is uv and or ozone, but in your specific case I would recommend something cheaper and simpler like activated carbon “
How’s that?

All questions should be answered correctly.

The answer you post above is. :)

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a small tank you wouldn't need a large ozone generator.

There are small units meant to disinfect fruits and veggies that even have a pump and come with tubing and an air stone for $20ish.

Sounds like you want to try carbon first, and I would as well, but don't trick yourself into thinking ozone/uv on a small tank has to be expensive.hth
could you send me the link

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a water polishing pad? Is it just filter floss since i have quite literally a garage full
No, it's an actual pad, with a soft side and a heat-treated slightly harder side. You have the flow go through the soft side and the hard side traps the particulate. Why does R2R hate my links so badly? LOL. Look up "Polishing Filter Pad - Superior Polishing Pad for Aquarium - Cut to Fit 24" by 36" Media for Fresh Water & Saltwater Fish Tanks" on Amazon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot in science there is only one answer;).

There can be many right, and many wrong answers, and some that are simply incomplete.

I'm surprised this is even controversial.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect fancy tanks with super-clear water use multiple methods including mechanical filters (filter socks, fleece, or roller mat), activated carbon, UV, and/or maybe even ozone. The skimmer may help a bit too.

Another cheap option is calcium carbonate powder.
Mikeymikemike on youtube has a video about this method but others have done it for years.

What I do is mix about 6oz calcium carbonate powder (sold as a supplement at the pharmacy) in a liter bottle with rodi. Once a week I shake it up very well and dose ~10ml of the white liquid per 100 gal. The tank will turn milky white which was alarming to me the first time. But after a few hours this clears up. Next day water is notably more clear. I also run carbon and a skimmer and while my water is not always crystal clear I think it's fine.

I think at some point this all becomes cosmetic. I doubt it's necessary or even beneficial from a health of livestock standpoint to get the water perfectly crystal clear...

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect fancy tanks with super-clear water use multiple methods including mechanical filters (filter socks, fleece, or roller mat), activated carbon, UV, and/or maybe even ozone. The skimmer may help a bit too.

Another cheap option is calcium carbonate powder.
Mikeymikemike on youtube has a video about this method but others have done it for years.

What I do is mix about 6oz calcium carbonate powder (sold as a supplement at the pharmacy) in a liter bottle with rodi. Once a week I shake it up very well and dose ~10ml of the white liquid per 100 gal. The tank will turn milky white which was alarming to me the first time. But after a few hours this clears up. Next day water is notably more clear. I also run carbon and a skimmer and while my water is not always crystal clear I think it's fine.

I think at some point this all becomes cosmetic. I doubt it's necessary or even beneficial from a health of livestock standpoint to get the water perfectly crystal clear...
im not fancy. Most fancy is a reactor with algae.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back