How to get crystal clear water

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much yes, and carbon is the most readily available and has a very straightforward mode of action. Nothing wrong with using it for clarity, almost everyone has at one time or another.

I'm partial to ozone bc I have a big tank with big tangs but on your rig, any of these tools will work well.

Here's a couple of budget ozone generators to check out if you decide to try in the future.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually can afford the bottom one! I’ll look into it as I only have 30. I am however selling my bowser colony so I could get some money off that

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn't force it. Carbon will be fine. Great place to start.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all questions must be answered in a best case scenario mode? With no regard to the person asking the question? One size fits all?
Perhaps it would be better to state something like “ well the best methods to get what you’re looking for is uv and or ozone, but in your specific case I would recommend something cheaper and simpler like activated carbon “
How’s that?
And to state that he won't achieve the goal he stated. Activated carbon will not make his water look like its not there, even if he ran a 5gal bucket worth.
Remember his original post and what he's striving to achieve.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to state that he won't achieve the goal he stated. Activated carbon will not make his water look like its not there, even if he ran a 5gal bucket worth.
Remember his original post and what he's striving to achieve.
ill get a cheap ozone and carbon, Got to research

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizer properly sized and plumbed inline with the return pump. Plus a carbon reactor recirculating in the sump. This is how most of us do it.

rckfsh44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can i get crystal clear water? I want my tank to look invisible. I don’t have nutrient issues but my water has always been naturally cloudy
You didn’t mention what kind of filtration your using, filter socks will polish the water , I use them maybe once a month for a couple of days

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I change 30 gallons of water daily- and . ... Just kidding
Many ask, what is my secret. NONE- I run chemipure blue and use a lg UV unit, clean skimmer cup regularly as well as filter socks

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it difficult to get a good-looking water column myself in my Evo, as I have sand substrate and, with the return pump upgrade to the Sicce, I've had to fiddle and faddle with the return nozzles in order to get to a point where the sand isn't continuously being blown around. I'm just glad that I went for "special grade" -- thoughts of oolite blowing around are enough to cause nightmares.

I hadn't considered ozone at all, so that's great. My biggest current issue is microbubbles from the Fluval skimmer -- still an issue after months of use -- so water polishing will have to wait.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice in this thread so far, but I think the biggest factor is your actual aquarium and the glass(or acrylic) itself.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it difficult to get a good-looking water column myself in my Evo, as I have sand substrate and, with the return pump upgrade to the Sicce, I've had to fiddle and faddle with the return nozzles in order to get to a point where the sand isn't continuously being blown around. I'm just glad that I went for "special grade" -- thoughts of oolite blowing around are enough to cause nightmares.

I hadn't considered ozone at all, so that's great. My biggest current issue is microbubbles from the Fluval skimmer -- still an issue after months of use -- so water polishing will have to wait.
Can I see your evo? Heres mine. I dont run Anything but i just started a carbon reactor so ill see if it works file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Peepshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too stopped with filter socks. BRS Investigates determined that filter socks should be changed out every 3 days…….. not one, not 7 but every 3 days to have the best results when using filter socks. :oops: Not going to happen. So I stopped. My tank is perfectly clear.
You changing means you keep on buying new socks...I just put a disposable dual media filter pad from amamzon for about $12 on top of the socks. It catches all the big stuff before going through to my socks. Seems to be working fine so far

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill get a cheap ozone and carbon, Got to research
Ozone is the winner. But to use ozone you should filter ozonated water through activated carbon. Bromine formation from ozone is toxic and carbon removes it. Randy holmes farley has an article explaning it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see your evo? Heres mine. I dont run Anything but i just started a carbon reactor so ill see if it works file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
I couldn't get your picture to load. Here's mine, about a month ago.

80AEE482-6C3F-4691-B9CC-7AE32393A93E.jpeg

tw5090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water actually not a bad thing as it means your corals have stuff to eat from the water column.
We generally obsess over perfectly clear water but our coral love the complete opposite.
The result is that in the end of spending a big buck trying to make the water as clear as you can by use of UV, Ozone, Filter socks or filter rollers, you then struggle with feeding corals or your fish (I prefer the latest) just to try to keep on par with your coral nutrition needs.
It's well know that corals feed on bacteria, viruses and suspended organics so why put the money and effort in trying to remove them?
Also, the use of a good skimmer and proper turnover rate between display and sump should be more than enough to clear most of the water after a while so I see no need to invest in unnecessary equipment unless maybe for an activated carbon reactor as it is also good for other purposes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back