How to Get Furan 2

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 was discontinued by API recently and is impossible to get. The only Furan 2 I found was on Ebay, asking $50 for a small baggie of the equivalent amount of recently sold in its proper packaging for $15.

The og Furan 2 packaging shows that the only ingredient is Nitrofurazone. Each packet of Furan 2 contains 85mg of Nitrofurazone and each box came with 10 packets. This means you get 0.85 grams per box.

Here's a link (https://wholesalekoifarm.net/product/nitrofurazone/) to an ornamental fish med supplier in California who sells a 50 gram pouch of Nitrofurazone powder for $50. Granted, that this is the equivalent of almost 60 boxes of API Furan 2, it's always better to have too much than not enough. Looking back, this is exactly what the ebay price gouging re-sellers are doing. Anyhow, you can find tons of other suppliers on the web, this just happens to be the one I went with. Also, make sure that the one you buy is in powder form as there are a lot of varieties that you may not want (ointments, food flakes etc).

So that's my story. I'm sharing this because for me, there's no substitute for Furan 2 when zoas are having issues and I've received so many helpful tips from this site, which saved me tons of money that I didn't need to spend. I hope that this helps anyone out who may find themselves in the same situation.

shopping

nitrofurazone-e1639182690404.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco, petland should have it . Call first and if they dont have it you should be able to get it on line at one of the online pet stores , amazon , or even eBay. Try that fish place , brs supply , or dirks pet supply

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're treating zoas with it?

Are you guys dosing Furan-2 to your display tanks or is this used as an out of tank treatment?

I still have 2 full boxes of Furan-2 on my shelf, but they both expire soon. Personally, I don't like using it because of how it stains the water that nasty greenish yellow. I've only used it on fish in QT setting.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. 25G for $20 plus shipping.

Nitrofurazone Powder

This is where I've been getting all my meds recently. As long as you have a small digital scale that can measure in mg, then you are all set.
+1

Everything Aquatic is what I use to buy my meds. I buy almost all of my antibiotics from them.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're treating zoas with it?

Are you guys dosing Furan-2 to your display tanks or is this used as an out of tank treatment?

I still have 2 full boxes of Furan-2 on my shelf, but they both expire soon. Personally, I don't like using it because of how it stains the water that nasty greenish yellow. I've only used it on fish in QT setting.
I never put it in my tank. Only for 30 min daily zoa dips

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug into this at one point. I'm pretty sure that Furan 2 has a second drug in it. Totally blanking on what it is. Maybe doxy?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef It's doxycycline. Here is a screenshot from the API furan 2 material safety data sheet. Not saying this won't work, only that it isn't 1:1 the same. Doxycycline is a potent antibiotic that is no doubt part of the benefit of furan 2 dips.

Screenshot_20220616-212210.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef It's tetracycline. Here is a screenshot from the API furan 2 material safety data sheet. Not saying this won't work, only that it isn't 1:1 the same. Tetracycline is a potent antibiotic that is no doubt part of the benefit of furan 2 dips.

Screenshot_20220616-212210.png

What's the source of this? Please share link

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the source of this? Please share link
I have no idea why the material safety data sheet and the box disagree, but I think that the MSDS is the document that's furnished to the federal govt for purposes of occupational health and safety. I would be probably trust the MSDS...then again, the box label you sent came from the FDA...so... I really don't know. Going to see if there is any mention in noga's book about this.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LeftyReefer Put the furan 2 in the freezer and it should be good long past the expiration date. Probably years.

I bought a box at LFS not long ago... you know... the stuff that never sells cuz everyone goes online to buy stuff :( so they still had it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back