How to get over Aquarium anxiety?

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef community,

Not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, please let me know if I should post elsewhere.

I'm about 6 months in and my 65 gallon tank is generally healthy other than an LPS struggling. Fish are happy and have been chillin for months.

I don't know if this is normal or what, but I have this constant anxiety that my tank is going to split at the seams, or that a rock is going to tump over and break the glass and dump 65 gallons of water, and even worse all of the poor fish on my floor. I don't know where it comes from, but I have nightmares about it. I bought the tank used, but gave it a look over based on suggestions, and again it's been running strong for 6 months+.

Is there any way to get over this anxiety? There isn't anything that leads me to think this will happen other than what an absolute nightmare emotionally it would be to lose all of my fish and have 65 gallons of water on the floor. I have the rocks decently secured, to me the silicon looks okay...

For peace of mind I took a video of all the seams if someone could just confirm they don't see any issues that might help with my anxiety from this...

Thank you in advance!

Video:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid to walk out of my house everyday because so many things can happen that cause injury or death. I choose not to worry about what may happen and enjoy things one day at a time and deal with problems if or when they arise. ;)
I don't see a problem with the silicon but if it's taking the pleasure out of the hobby for you I guess the only options are to quit or replace the tank. This is just one seam on one of my tank. Disclaimer I tend to be a bit less cautious than many folks.
PXL_20240429_160103713.jpg

Last edited:

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know myself! I wake up at night with my heart pounding and can't get back to sleep without checking. Now, this really only happens when I first set up a tank and it fades as the days/weeks/months go on.

It happened when I set up my 25g and there was no reason for worry. Everything level and seams perfect.

BUT. I just filled my new 100g and my anxiety is 100%. I feel like the thing is just going to fall over or blow at the seams. Kind of irrational.

I don't know the answer but I'm right there too. I do find what helps ease my mind is to keep checking, and I sent everything off to the manufacturer (photos and descriptions) and I'll feel better if/when I get their stamp of approval.

I don't think it helps to WORRY so much, but it's good to be aware and attentive. Maybe get a schedule/routine of checking seams and level and that's all you can do?

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the tank failing or bursting in dramatic fashion I think that's quite rare. If something did go wrong it would probably start as a leak and you would have time to react.

True! I also will have numerous measures in place to detect a leak or issue sooner than later. A controller/monitor and cameras for periodic check-ins help me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello reef community,

Not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, please let me know if I should post elsewhere.

I'm about 6 months in and my 65 gallon tank is generally healthy other than an LPS struggling. Fish are happy and have been chillin for months.

I don't know if this is normal or what, but I have this constant anxiety that my tank is going to split at the seams, or that a rock is going to tump over and break the glass and dump 65 gallons of water, and even worse all of the poor fish on my floor. I don't know where it comes from, but I have nightmares about it. I bought the tank used, but gave it a look over based on suggestions, and again it's been running strong for 6 months+.

Is there any way to get over this anxiety? There isn't anything that leads me to think this will happen other than what an absolute nightmare emotionally it would be to lose all of my fish and have 65 gallons of water on the floor. I have the rocks decently secured, to me the silicon looks okay...

For peace of mind I took a video of all the seams if someone could just confirm they don't see any issues that might help with my anxiety from this...

Thank you in advance!

Video:

Ive seen this and often leads to failure but if you want to reseal, I can offer you insight as I have repaired numerous tanks.
Yake time to enjoy your tank than to stress over little things often that are normal

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the tank failing or bursting in dramatic fashion I think that's quite rare. If something did go wrong it would probably start as a leak and you would have time to react.

Oh this is helpful. I figured because of the weight of the water if even a small part fails it'll almost immediately catastrophically fail. I check it regularly so if there would be some heads up that definitely puts my mind at ease.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is new anxiety and related only to reef keeping, find a way to confirm everything is fine and trust the process. If you're worried about the used tank (a valid concern) buy new, or reseal the one you have. Rocks falling? Secure them with epoxy.

If that doesn't work or you have this in other areas of life and you can't sleep, eat, think... Dudes there no shame in finding a therapist! Check your work, they may have an employee assistance program with some free help.

OP
OP
Guiids

Guiids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen this and often leads to failure but if you want to reseal, I can offer you insight as I have repaired numerous tanks.
Yake time to enjoy your tank than to stress over little things often that are normal

I definitely don't want to reseal or mess with it unless someone viewed the video and said "OH crap THAT THING IS ABOUT TO BLOW". So thank you for the calming advice, phew

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get leak detectors. Build a brace with welded steel angles to fit on top of tank. Silicone in some glass triangle brackets on top. Eurobrace the tank. Etc etc.

Lots of things to add peace of mind.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade to Acrylic.

If that doesn’t work then seek professional help for your condition. Losing sleep and anxiety can shorten your life expectancy and ruin your ability to enjoy the hobby.

If you don’t like acrylic then get out of this hobby and get another one, like the rodeo or hockey where you can learn to enjoy real threats and possibly help you appreciate the hobby more and then you will come back stronger.
Kids Play GIF
:cool:

WeeeeeeHa!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back