How to get rid of biofilm?

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that surface skimming is the best way to remove the biofilm. I didn't have that much success with surface agitation. A 20G is not very big, but there are some options.

Tunze makes the comline nanofilter 3161 now which is both surface skimmer and filter chamber. I used the old version and despite the noise was quite happy with that. No idea how loud the new one is.

Just now I found the Seachem Tidal 35 hang on which has an integrated surface skimmer. That might work.

Eheim makes a small pump with surface skimming: Skim 350 and Aquael has something similar (SAS 500).

The Eheim one does not need a super stable water level, the Tunze does. I don't know about the seachem. If it was me, I would try the Seachem or Tunze first and replace your existing hang on filter, just for clean looks. It's always sad to have too many electronics in such a small tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only a hang on filter? The tank needs flow, you should get at least 2 powerheads in there, aim one at the water surface to create agitation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back