How to get rid of blue clove polyps and unwanted mushrooms & palythoas

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of blue clove polyps ,green discosoma mushrooms and green palys all over my tank that I want to get rid of, any solution to the problem? Have seen someone mention f aiptasia or kalk to kill mushrooms but im not sure. I have to mention that its a mixed reef tank, 80 gallons.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of blue clove polyps ,green discosoma mushrooms and green palys all over my tank that I want to get rid of, any solution to the problem? Have seen someone mention f aiptasia or kalk to kill mushrooms but im not sure. I have to mention that its a mixed reef tank, 80 gallons.
Sell them!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the pests?

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the pests?
I am not home right now and I dont have photos, you can search them on google if you want to, blue clove polyps, green/grayish palythoas and green discosoma mushrooms

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue clove polyps: start over LOL, but I think there is a treatment that some have used in the form of fenbendazole. Look into it.

Mushrooms and palys: go get some f-aiptasia and get to work.

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue clove polyps: start over LOL, but I think there is a treatment that some have used in the form of fenbendazole. Look into it.

Mushrooms and palys: go get some f-aiptasia and get to work.
I have not glued any rock in my tank so i can theoretically just dry the rocks that have blue cloves, the problem is that there are rocks that have bcp and other corals on them

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only solutions I've heard for blue clove polyps aren't reef safe (they might kill off other things in the tank), but the most common treatment I've heard is Fenbendazole. Someone else used Lugol's Iodine, but they also lost some corals from that. Some people say kalk paste or super glue may work, but I haven't seen many people reporting success with it. The links below may help:
Not sure how to help with removing the mushrooms and palys though.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not home right now and I dont have photos, you can search them on google if you want to, blue clove polyps, green/grayish palythoas and green discosoma mushrooms
I just wanted to see how much they have taken over.
Can the rocks come out at all?
I have used boiling tank water and hydrogen peroxide with a toothbrush and taken out 95% of mine. Need 2 or 3 doses to kill 100%

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after pics
They were on multiple rocks and they crawl across the sandbed.

20221027_201924.jpg 20221005_184744.jpg 20221016_135433.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not glued any rock in my tank so i can theoretically just dry the rocks that have blue cloves, the problem is that there are rocks that have bcp and other corals on them
I think once blue cloves are in a system they are pretty much in. Much like aiptasia. It's hard to fully eradicate them because they spread so fast.

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see my before and after pics?
^^^
Yeah, nice . How did you kill them without killing other corals on the rocks? Also, the invasion is not so bad so far, my tank is only 5 months old

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nice . How did you kill them without killing other corals on the rocks? Also, the invasion is not so bad so far, my tank is only 5 months old
Pulled the rock out. Hold the coral you want, up. Use gravity to your advantage. Syringe with microwaved tank water to kill the masses. Syringe with h202 on a toothbrush for the up close with other coral. Then i dosed the rest with h2o2. Let it set for a few minutes outside the tank then rinse with tank water in a bowl.
Wait about a week and do it again.

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the rock out. Hold the coral you want, up. Use gravity to your advantage. Syringe with microwaved tank water to kill the masses. Syringe with h202 on a toothbrush for the up close with other coral. Then i dosed the rest with h2o2. Let it set for a few minutes outside the tank then rinse with tank water in a bowl.
Wait about a week and do it again.
Will try, thanks

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I made the mistake of getting blue clove and F aptasia did not work,nothing worked.Was an old tank and stand so was easy to let go and upgrade to a new one including rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back