How to get rid of Udotea sp. A.K.A. Mermaid's fan?

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have an outbreak of that nasty algae. After toothbrushing it spread over the whole tank. When I try to remove that stuff with metal brush and put it into darkness for up to 2 months, the first 2 days LRs are clean, but then the algae comes back :loudly-crying-face:
Tuxedo, Emeralds and Turbos don't even take a look on it

So I need a plan how to manage the outbreak. Maybe some fishes can eat that calcareous algae? Or API Algae Fix / fluconazol / whatever else will help?
The tank is full of this algae. Literally every LR at least at 50% covered with that stuff. So mechanical removal is not an option I guess

Need your suggestions guys :face-without-mouth:

87.jpg

88.jpg

86.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have an outbreak of that nasty algae. After toothbrushing it spread over the whole tank. When I try to remove that stuff with metal brush and put it into darkness for up to 2 months, the first 2 days LRs are clean, but then the algae comes back :loudly-crying-face:
Tuxedo, Emeralds and Turbos don't even take a look on it

So I need a plan how to manage the outbreak. Maybe some fishes can eat that calcareous algae? Or API Algae Fix / fluconazol / whatever else will help?
The tank is full of this algae. Literally every LR at least at 50% covered with that stuff. So mechanical removal is not an option I guess

Need your suggestions guys :face-without-mouth:

87.jpg

88.jpg

86.jpg
@WheatToast or @Subsea may be able to give you a little help here. I am on my phone and cannot really see to make sure what I am looking at.

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite envious tbh, I love this macro and used to have it myself, unfortunately the population just collapsed eventually.

So I guess maybe try limiting nutrients?
I have not too many fishes in my 40G, also there's fleece roll to catch any uneaten food
NO3 is 5-10, PO4 is .06 - .10

Maybe you remember what exact changes in your system preceded to collapsing of the algae? Maybe some additives or introducing new inhabitants?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not too many fishes in my 40G, also there's fleece roll to catch any uneaten food
NO3 is 5-10, PO4 is .06 - .10

Maybe you remember what exact changes in your system preceded to collapsing of the algae? Maybe some additives or introducing new inhabitants?
Nothing else than changing out the substrate and getting rid of all the detritus trapped in it.

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, what do you think, if I add doubled dosage of BlueLife Flux RX that probably consists of Fluconazole, will it help against Udotea? It belongs to Bryopsidales order, to which also Bryopsis belongs.

OP
OP
M

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I avoided to dose BlueLife Flux RX because I guess it's a kind of lottery... and not all the sticks have chances to survive.

Instead I did several things
1. My KZ Flatworm Stop has been gone around month ago. I ordered a new one but still haven't started dosing it. I believe it significantly lowered the Iodine level - previously I had around 125ppb, now only 80ppb.
2.Around 2 weeks ago I started dosing Brightwell Microbacter Clean (following the instructions)
3. Also I reworked my rocks, glued some branches using MicrobeLift ReefScaper mortar. I used this mortar before and had no side effects. During the gluing, I also took the wire brush and scrubbed the rocks thoroughly (only reef branches, not the rocks on the pics). Reef branches also were covered with Udotea.
4. Also put a couple of Emerald crabs and few small Hermit crabs. They don't eat Udotea any way, but can help with food particles etc.

So, initially I noticed the Udotea on the rocks got "curly" edges on the leaves. Then it began whitening (on last Wednesday), and I got the bacterial bloom.
97.jpg

After 5 days my rocks look like
95.jpg 96.jpg

So the Udotea is almost done and remains are whitening, I believe they also will die soon.
Another species of algae I have remain unaffected. But my Emerald crabs eat them without any problem, and those algae much easier to remove.

I don't know what happened. But I remembered the old photos of the tank and there were no any Udotea bushes. I believe there's a kind of relation between Udotea and KZ Flatworm Stop (maybe just because of elevated Iodine level).

Next Monday I intend to resume dosing of Flatworm Stop, will inform you in case of Udotea outbreak back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back