Trying to go by the book - how to get rid of green / brown hair algae

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I have a red sea 750 that is currently running fallow due to ick outbreak.

I had a big problem with my tank in the past, everything was covered in what I think was some kind of dinos that took over, see pictures in my old post:

After that I've decided to do a blackout, 3 days with the display covered, the results were amazing, everything got cleaned up, but of course when the algae died my nutrients spiked and I didn't remove it quickly enough - so after couple of months I'm now battling green/brown hair algae.

My feeding schedule is simple - I dose 50 ml total of 4 types of phytoplankton with one frozen food cube.
Once a week recommended dose of reefroids for the corals.

I have few starfish, 6 shrimps, snails, 2 big clams and a lot of cocopods - the population goes crazy when there are no predators!.

What i'm doing right now:
  • manually pulling algae with siphon
  • running algae scrubber 24/7 for the last month - I don't see an impressive growth there while the display is going nuts.
  • Running skimmer 24/7
  • 10-20 % water change weekly
  • Got a sea hare today, not very hopeful it can manage that amount of algae
  • getting frustrated :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I decided to cut the dose of phyto by half today to see if there is any change, but I'm worried about the livestock in the tank so i'm pretty firm on the one frozen cube a day.

I kind of gave up on checking phos and nitrate since the algae is taking it from the water so the results are not really helping, but I assume it's to much since the algae is growing.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thank you!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I have a red sea 750 that is currently running fallow due to ick outbreak.

I had a big problem with my tank in the past, everything was covered in what I think was some kind of dinos that took over, see pictures in my old post:

After that I've decided to do a blackout, 3 days with the display covered, the results were amazing, everything got cleaned up, but of course when the algae died my nutrients spiked and I didn't remove it quickly enough - so after couple of months I'm now battling green/brown hair algae.

My feeding schedule is simple - I dose 50 ml total of 4 types of phytoplankton with one frozen food cube.
Once a week recommended dose of reefroids for the corals.

I have few starfish, 6 shrimps, snails, 2 big clams and a lot of cocopods - the population goes crazy when there are no predators!.

What i'm doing right now:
  • manually pulling algae with siphon
  • running algae scrubber 24/7 for the last month - I don't see an impressive growth there while the display is going nuts.
  • Running skimmer 24/7
  • 10-20 % water change weekly
  • Got a sea hare today, not very hopeful it can manage that amount of algae
  • getting frustrated :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I decided to cut the dose of phyto by half today to see if there is any change, but I'm worried about the livestock in the tank so i'm pretty firm on the one frozen cube a day.

I kind of gave up on checking phos and nitrate since the algae is taking it from the water so the results are not really helping, but I assume it's to much since the algae is growing.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thank you!
You don't mention having coral so on advice from a customer I had in the HVAC business and almost a desperation move, I removed the rock and scrubbed it with a brass wire brush. It took 6 months but no longer after 6 years have never had the issue again

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't mention having coral so on advice from a customer I had in the HVAC business and almost a desperation move, I removed the rock and scrubbed it with a brass wire brush. It took 6 months but no longer after 6 years have never had the issue again
I do have corals, that are doing very well :)
But thanks

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop feeding the tank and using reef roids. Idk why your feeding an entire cube if food when there is nothing eating it. Even if you had fish I wouldn’t feed that much. Maybe if you had 2-3 large fish and a bunch of small ones.

Add a bunch of urchins, turbos and dose 3-4 bottles of pods. If this doesn’t work then does fluconazole. It’s probably the only chemical I would try in my tanks.

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop feeding the tank and using reef roids. Idk why your feeding an entire cube if food when there is nothing eating it. Even if you had fish I wouldn’t feed that much. Maybe if you had 2-3 large fish and a bunch of small ones.

Add a bunch of urchins, turbos and dose 3-4 bottles of pods. If this doesn’t work then does fluconazole. It’s probably the only chemical I would try in my tanks.
Already have 3 urchins.
The shrimps and CUC eat the cube.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back