How to get sand from moving

josh88997766

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2025
Messages
172
Reaction score
51
Location
franklin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Carib sea ocean direct so it’s pretty fine but it keeps getting moved around a little which does add up and it’s mostly on the side of my hob filter don’t think it’s the powerhead as it’s aimed up and is more at the top of the tank how can I get the sand to stop moving around so I don’t have to keep moving it back everyday
 
Do you have any sand dwellers? Its either them or the powerhead.
Special grade sand will solve the problem with the powerhead.

I have a dual layer sand bed in a 20g with crushed coral on the bottom and special grade on top. my mp10 is placed on the top 3rd of the tank and maxes out at 50% in nutrient transport mode. The sand never moves in this mode, only the poop on its surface. At 50% in constant speed though i get a little movement.
 
Do you have any sand dwellers? Its either them or the powerhead.
Special grade sand will solve the problem with the powerhead.

I have a dual layer sand bed in a 20g with crushed coral on the bottom and special grade on top. my mp10 is placed on the top 3rd of the tank and maxes out at 50% in nutrient transport mode. The sand never moves in this mode, only the poop on its surface. At 50% in constant speed though i get a little movement.
I don’t have anything in there yet but no sand moves on the side the power heads on only the side of the hob
 
New sand is easily blown around. Later on it will grow biofilm and micro algae's and have micro organisms living in it, so the sand will become "heavier" and not move so much.
 
I had Carib Sea Arag-Live sand in my tank. It blew around a little bit when I first had it, but once it became more established in our tank, it never blew around. The only thing that would kick up the sand was our watchman goby, but that's typical goby behavior.
 
I had Carib Sea Arag-Live sand in my tank. It blew around a little bit when I first had it, but once it became more established in our tank, it never blew around. The only thing that would kick up the sand was our watchman goby, but that's typical goby behavior.
Ok thanks
 
1) try Marco foundation rock . It’s bitten is flat and sits flush on the glass . The top emerges from the sand and creates dunes that hold the sand in place .

2) try some amount of larger sands. I like the TBS sand for that. Something that has shells and larger bits in it.
 
Or go bare bottom. Problem solved… as much flow as you want and super easy to clean.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new