How to get this algae off of these poor corals? Pics !

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some type of encrusting sps & a plating Monti they have spots of algae on them. Iv'e tried placing a snail on the spots. Tried tweezers etc. I'd think a tooth brush would take out the polyps. Don't think a peroxide dip would be good at all. What to do? Thanks !

HPIM9032.JPG HPIM9034.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some type of encrusting sps & a plating Monti they have spots of algae on them. Iv'e tried placing a snail on the spots. Tried tweezers etc. I'd think a tooth brush would take out the polyps. Don't think a peroxide dip would be good at all. What to do? Thanks !

HPIM9032.JPG HPIM9034.JPG
If you get a very soft bristle toothbrush I've had success gently scrubbing hair algae off my sunset monti. The polyps retract in far enough that they are able to survive.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you test the parameters mainly nutrients?
Looks like you have GHA, bubble and green slime algae.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya jsker, I have all that & probably more . It is getting better though, it was a lot worse in the past. I'm carefully watching nutrients levels. The bubble which I have a long relation with is a lot better than it was. Even my tuxedo can't find any bubble t cover itself .

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot about this, I still have the same problem . There is more on the 3 sps I have than the rock they sit on ! even the algae eating snails have more on their shells than the rock they clean. All are still doing ok but certainly not thriving & growing. Iv'e been working on nutrient levels now. t these levels bounce from either zero or just a bit. dunno.gif
Do nutrient (No3,Po4) need the same stability as Alk &Ca ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Folks I'm desperate here and about to do something stupid ! just took this pic of the same monti. It is literally over grown with hair & another type of a broad leaf algae.
I must say the pic looks a lot worse then it is . where the monti isn't covered it has nice coloe & is growing off the plug . Can I nuke the thing with a dilution of peroxide? Any suggestions are welcome, the tooth brush ain't gettin it ! Help !

HPIM9126.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any op'son the peroxide dip? The force needed to scrub would surely take the polyps.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the algae has already grown down to the skeleton around the polyps then I don't see how this is fixable.

If it's only growing on the slimy surface of the coral (which I don't understand, but that's ok) then you should be able to get it with a baby toothbrush without removing coral tissue.

You may have tried already, but Algae Cure!! Spot Treating Algae With Peroxide might give the coral a leg up.

You can use higher-strength peroxide if you want and you can be very precise with application.

Yes on nutrient stability, but do you have a lot of algae growth in the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back