How to help blend in a single dead rock

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of Velvet a while back and ended up just disassembling the small tank instead of waiting the fallow period so I bleached the rocks and then sun dried them. Not long after, I decided to give it another shot with a bigger tank and used all new equipment (or well disinfected) and new live rock. After a couple months I decided that one particular rock I had before would fit perfectly in with the aquascape so I added it...However, obviously the large rock was bleached white while coralline and other algae were growing on the current live rock. Is there a way I can help make the bleached rock blend in faster or look more natural?
Thanks

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of Velvet a while back and ended up just disassembling the small tank instead of waiting the fallow period so I bleached the rocks and then sun dried them. Not long after, I decided to give it another shot with a bigger tank and used all new equipment (or well disinfected) and new live rock. After a couple months I decided that one particular rock I had before would fit perfectly in with the aquascape so I added it...However, obviously the large rock was bleached white while coralline and other algae were growing on the current live rock. Is there a way I can help make the bleached rock blend in faster or look more natural?
Thanks
maybe take it back out and dap it with pink/purple reef mortar, let dry then replace... have heard rock paint chips, but our mortar is still doing fine. Maybe mix it thinner so more 'paint like' and less 'mortar' like

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just have to wait - I've added new/bleached rock back into my system with coralline and it looks ugly for about 3 weeks and it gets better after that. Let time and nature do its thing!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe take it back out and dap it with pink/purple reef mortar, let dry then replace... have heard rock paint chips, but our mortar is still doing fine. Maybe mix it thinner so more 'paint like' and less 'mortar' like
I was thinking about that but then I saw the "Coralline Grow" additive Red Sea sells and I was wondering if combining that with maybe a trace element supplement would hasten the process or at least give the appearance...have you ever heard about anyone using that stuff?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just have to wait - I've added new/bleached rock back into my system with coralline and it looks ugly for about 3 weeks and it gets better after that. Let time and nature do its thing!
Do you know anything about that coralline grow additive from Red Sea or do you think that might help? I'll probably just wait tbh

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know anything about that coralline grow additive from Red Sea or do you think that might help? I'll probably just wait tbh
I used the pink & purple AlgaeBarn coralline products. Took weeks/month+ before noticed anything, then started taking off.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the pink & purple AlgaeBarn coralline products. Took weeks/month+ before noticed anything, then started taking off.

Unfortunately we don't have Algaebarn in Bangkok...the closest product would be Red Sea

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back