How to help ro/di last longer

60gallonrimlessYA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can i do to help my ro/di last longer. I have the icecap 75gpd and have only had a couple months and it went from 7ppm last night to 9ppm 14 hours later. Plus does the tds being higher make salinity go up

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the filter less often to slow the resin depletion.
The salinity may technically be slightly elevated but the difference is negligible (not practically measurable) between zero and ten ppm.

Sometimes the resin is not packed very tightly and the water flows around it instead of through the resin. Adding a little resin to the cartridge, or tilting the unit to force the water to pass through the resin may improve your situation? At some point the resin is spent and it cannot bind additional ions and it needs to be changed. The amount it can bind is fixed so once it has absorbed the max ions the speed of the water flow will not impact the reaction and no more ions will be removed.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What went from 7 -9 tds?

Maintain sediment filter so pressure does not lower to your membrane

Maintain carbon filter so chlorine breakthru does not damage your membrane.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has 75g membranes that you can piggy back onto existing units.

Not familiar with ice cap units.
Anyway what happens is you get less waste discharge and your membranes last longer plus it produces 150g's of water in the same amount of time.

You system should be zero out of the di resin bed. If not it needs to be replaced. I always replace carbon and sediment filter at the same time as they are fairly cheap.

What is the reading out of the membrane. It should be 1-2 then the resin brings it to zero.
If you dont have a handheld tds meter to cross reference then replace all when you get a 1 out if the di resin. I can go to 3 on the meter before its actually 1 on my calibated handheld.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make larger batches less frequently. If you are only making, say 5 - 10 gallons at a time, your membranes will fall victim to creep and you will burn through them faster. The result will leave more gunk to bind to your resin, and it will deplete at an accelerated pace.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make larger bathes less frequently. If you are only making, say 5 - 10 gallons at a time, your membranes will fall victim to creep and you will burn through them faster. The result will leave more gunk to bind to your resin, and it will deplete at an accelerated pace.
Yes. If you can find the room its the best way.
I have a 250g tote. My unit has a 75gpd and a 100gpd piggy backed.
It took 3 days to fill it with the 75 and 1.5 days with both. It also reduces waste with 2 membranes.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. If you can find the room its the best way.
I have a 250g tote. My unit has a 75gpd and a 100gpd piggy backed.
It took 3 days to fill it with the 75 and 1.5 days with both. It also reduces waste with 2 membranes.
Yeah, I run a 2nd membrane too. It's most definitely the way to go, IMO.

danielankeny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can i do to help my ro/di last longer. I have the icecap 75gpd and have only had a couple months and it went from 7ppm last night to 9ppm 14 hours later. Plus does the tds being higher make salinity go up
In addition to adding a second ro filter, The BRS videos also highly suggest having water supply driving pressure >40-50 psi with 80-90psi yielding best efficiency. I think they have a BRS investigates video on this.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to adding a second ro filter, The BRS videos also highly suggest having water supply driving pressure >40-50 psi with 80-90psi yielding best efficiency. I think they have a BRS investigates video on this.
Yes my pressure is about 65psi from the tap.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back