How to I know if my Aquarium silicone is cured.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers.
I am using Loctite to hold down some starboard on my bare bottom Reefer 525XL. It has been over 48 hours and the tank still smell like that vinegar smell of new silicone. I touched the area where the silicone is being used and it feels like the silicone is completely healed. The direction on the label said 48 hours to cure for aquarium. So is it cured and ready to go? I'm anxious to add water and start mixing salt, but I don't want to have any leaching into the tank if the silicone is not completely cured. The tank has been sitting 71F degree. Thank you in advance.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine...the smell does seem to linger a bit even after it dries.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference, at a minimum, is 3 days, but prefer one week or more.

On my recent custom tank purchase, that included the date of manufacture, it came with a note:

DO NOT put water water in the tank until:
3 weeks for a 25" tall tank
OR
4 weeks for a 31" tall tank
from the date of manufacture

FYI, I never had a problem with tanks/sumps after waiting a week.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers.
I am using Loctite to hold down some starboard on my bare bottom Reefer 525XL. It has been over 48 hours and the tank still smell like that vinegar smell of new silicone. I touched the area where the silicone is being used and it feels like the silicone is completely healed. The direction on the label said 48 hours to cure for aquarium. So is it cured and ready to go? I'm anxious to add water and start mixing salt, but I don't want to have any leaching into the tank if the silicone is not completely cured. The tank has been sitting 71F degree. Thank you in advance.
I know it’s difficult to wait, but if it were my tank, I’d wait at least 2 more days.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were something structural I absolutely agree that I would let it dry a lot longer. For holding down starboard I don't think I'd be worried...but that's JMO.

Certainly can't hurt to wait another day or two if you want to be sure...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back