How to increase PH level in my reef aquarium

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
351
Location
Miami, Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy...

I really didn't want to bother you with this, but I'm at my wits end. I've tried just about everything and nothing seems to increase my PH. I have a 180 gallon tank with a sump that is currently at 30 gallons...so you can say the greatest amount of water I have is 210 gallons.
My current parameters are:
Cal. - 500
Alk. - 9.50
Mag. - 1350
It all started when I had to reconfigure my plumbing. My tank was shutdown for a week, but I still had my powerheads circulating tank water. Prior to that my PH was between 8.2-8.4, sometimes as high as 8.5. During that time and now I have a CO2 scrubber plumbed to my protein skimmer. I've had my system back up and running for almost 3 weeks. The highest my PH gets is 7.57. I was dosing Kalkwasser prior to the week shutdown, but I noticed I was getting a lot of build-up on my pump impellers. Maybe I was dosing too much. So my question is...how much Kalkwasser should I be dosing on a 24 hr basis?

Thank you for your time
Chris
 
Hello Randy...

I really didn't want to bother you with this, but I'm at my wits end. I've tried just about everything and nothing seems to increase my PH. I have a 180 gallon tank with a sump that is currently at 30 gallons...so you can say the greatest amount of water I have is 210 gallons.
My current parameters are:
Cal. - 500
Alk. - 9.50
Mag. - 1350
It all started when I had to reconfigure my plumbing. My tank was shutdown for a week, but I still had my powerheads circulating tank water. Prior to that my PH was between 8.2-8.4, sometimes as high as 8.5. During that time and now I have a CO2 scrubber plumbed to my protein skimmer. I've had my system back up and running for almost 3 weeks. The highest my PH gets is 7.57. I was dosing Kalkwasser prior to the week shutdown, but I noticed I was getting a lot of build-up on my pump impellers. Maybe I was dosing too much. So my question is...how much Kalkwasser should I be dosing on a 24 hr basis?

Thank you for your time
Chris
Is it a testing error? Maybe the probe needs to be re calibrated. It doesn't sound like you changed anything that would make PH worse.
 
Hello Randy...

I really didn't want to bother you with this, but I'm at my wits end. I've tried just about everything and nothing seems to increase my PH. I have a 180 gallon tank with a sump that is currently at 30 gallons...so you can say the greatest amount of water I have is 210 gallons.
My current parameters are:
Cal. - 500
Alk. - 9.50
Mag. - 1350
It all started when I had to reconfigure my plumbing. My tank was shutdown for a week, but I still had my powerheads circulating tank water. Prior to that my PH was between 8.2-8.4, sometimes as high as 8.5. During that time and now I have a CO2 scrubber plumbed to my protein skimmer. I've had my system back up and running for almost 3 weeks. The highest my PH gets is 7.57. I was dosing Kalkwasser prior to the week shutdown, but I noticed I was getting a lot of build-up on my pump impellers. Maybe I was dosing too much. So my question is...how much Kalkwasser should I be dosing on a 24 hr basis?

Thank you for your time
Chris
IMO and I have run one previously, is that a CO2 scrubber is a band aid. I was purchasing media 5 gallons at a time and finally decided not to chase numbers.

Regarding your question of "how much" Kalk to dose, that depends upon your load and how much is needed to kep your Alk at your preferred level. I use soda ash from BRS and dose accordingly.
 
"Is it a testing error? Maybe the probe needs to be re calibrated. It doesn't sound like you changed anything that would make PH worse."

I purchased a new Neptune Apex probe...had it calibrated and 7.57 is the highest my PH will read
 
"Regarding your question of "how much" Kalk to dose, that depends upon your load and how much is needed to keep your Alk at your preferred level. I use soda ash from BRS and dose accordingly."

The Alk is not a problem...I also use Soda Ash from BRS. Trying to get my PH up to 8.4 is at the moment
 
This article can help raise the pH.

You need to ensure the probe is calibrated and accurate. After that, check out the “causes of low pH” section and then move on to the “methods that raise pH” section.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-raise-ph-in-reef-tanks.1129406/
Know that the pH is fine between 7.8–8.6. There’s nothing wrong with wanting higher pH levels though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new