How to introduce a lawnmower blenny.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every.

Recently I purchased a lawnmower blenny to help control my hair algae. I am doing water changing an siphoning it up, but it is still an issue. I noticed it is currently hiding but comes out whenever I am not looking. As soon as it sees my face, it darts back into its live rock hide. Will it just take a while for it to feel comfy enough to bulldoze the algae?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shy fish in general. It's grazing when you arent looking though.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! It is already getting started now that it has explored the tank. It just will NOT be out and about if I get close to it or put my phone to the screen to record it.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He or she will get used to the tank. I love my Lawnmower Blenny. He is almost comfortable enough to eat from a baster now and is quite brave. Do you have any fish that may be harassing him?

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He or she will get used to the tank. I love my Lawnmower Blenny. He is almost comfortable enough to eat from a baster now and is quite brave. Do you have any fish that may be harassing him?
The only bottom dwelling fish would be the two peppermint shrimp who shy away from him, the cleaner shrimp who seems indifferent, and the brittle star that doesn't car what is happening so long as it isn't being picked up.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only bottom dwelling fish would be the two peppermint shrimp who shy away from him, the cleaner shrimp who seems indifferent, and the brittle star that doesn't car what is happening so long as it isn't being picked up.

The Blenny should be fine then. He may just need to finish adjusting it took mine about a week. Now he skips around the rocks all day.

U

User1

View Badges
Depending on your choice of greeting you could do any of the following - some are C-19 approved :D

1. Walk up, extend elbow flex, and virtually bump while saying your name
2. Walk up, extend hand for a virtual shake while introducing yourself
3. Walk up, extend closed fist for virtual fist pump, while introducing your self
4. As he swims by do a virtual pat on the tail fin and say sup, my name is boo what is yours
5. Place a photo of yourself, write your name on it, and tape it to the tank so he/she sees it - draw arrow to it and say THAT IS ME - I AM WHO FEEDS YOU

I really don't know how to introduce other than they will at some point become less shy and be more visible. The last one I had was very personable and would come up to me as I was feeding, cleaning, or just watching. I swear it got a kick out of my nephew as it would always come face to face with him. Darn est thing I've ever seen.

I swear animals know innocence or pure of heart.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my blenny. He has the funniest personality. His home is a huge conch shell we got on vacation one time and whenever a snail gets on his house he’ll pick them up with his mouth and spit them in the sand lol. He’s a bit lazy though. He’ll eat the tangs nori and algae sheets rather than doing his job. He will graze on the overflow and rock if we take our time putting more algae in. He’s kinda big too. Seems to get along with all the old residents but we added a few new tangs recently and I saw him try to snap at the Dory when she went by. Here’s a few pics of ours-we call him fatty 2 and our sea hare is fatty 1 because he’s the size of a baseball probably!! Here are some pics :)

402FEDAA-9D04-445F-B9DF-286C2311B0C4.jpeg C40CAC1C-D672-4BA6-A327-15BC1DAB1B13.jpeg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never touches hair algae, he rather just wait to be fed.

LiqrSicc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was pretty shy at first too. He dang near starved himself for a month before he started eating. Now he's the fattest one in the tank. Such a funny personality except for the fact that he will bully all newcomers.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 8.0%
Back