Lawnmower blenny quarantine problems

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Yes I had a previous thread but no one was responding)
So I have a 10g with a 5g sump that I was using to quarantine 3 fish but 2 died to brooklynella (possibly velvet but unlikely) leaving the lawnmower blenny. This tank was heavily infected so I panicked and moved the lawnmower blenny to a 2.5 gallon I had on hand after a freshwater dip

Right now it’s in the 2.5g with prazipro and ruby rally pro. I am doing water changes twice a day and this has been going on around a day. I have on hand copper and I think some api general cure

I can’t easily disinfect the 10g because it’s fully cycled and a display tank.

the blenny is not exhibiting any symptoms but seems extremely hungry with a slightly sunken in belly. I tried feeding it nori and some green hair algae that has overtaken my tanks but I didn’t see it eat

Should I give it a couple more days in the medication then put it in my 75 gallon? It’s not showing any symptoms and seems hungry. I worry if I put it in another sterile 10 gallon it will still starve due to it being a new tank without algae

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a while but they are not picky. Mine will all swim into the water column to eat pellets, brine, mysis, algae wafers. Have you tried any of those?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
(Yes I had a previous thread but no one was responding)
So I have a 10g with a 5g sump that I was using to quarantine 3 fish but 2 died to brooklynella (possibly velvet but unlikely) leaving the lawnmower blenny. This tank was heavily infected so I panicked and moved the lawnmower blenny to a 2.5 gallon I had on hand after a freshwater dip

Right now it’s in the 2.5g with prazipro and ruby rally pro. I am doing water changes twice a day and this has been going on around a day. I have on hand copper and I think some api general cure

I can’t easily disinfect the 10g because it’s fully cycled and a display tank.

the blenny is not exhibiting any symptoms but seems extremely hungry with a slightly sunken in belly. I tried feeding it nori and some green hair algae that has overtaken my tanks but I didn’t see it eat

Should I give it a couple more days in the medication then put it in my 75 gallon? It’s not showing any symptoms and seems hungry. I worry if I put it in another sterile 10 gallon it will still starve due to it being a new tank without algae
Do not mix the prazi with RRR. Prazi is a dewormer and addresses flatworms and other flukes while ruby Rally covers an array of issues. Prazi does reduce both appetite and oxygen in the tank and its best to follow this regimen versus the bottle directions:
To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Again, Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Also, it appears you are not sure what you have and are treating without confirmation which can go against you.
If you see something, please post pics under white light intensity for confirmation

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not mix the prazi with RRR. Prazi is a dewormer and addresses flatworms and other flukes while ruby Rally covers an array of issues. Prazi does reduce both appetite and oxygen in the tank and its best to follow this regimen versus the bottle directions:
To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Again, Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Also, it appears you are not sure what you have and are treating without confirmation which can go against you.
If you see something, please post pics under white light intensity for confirmation
Ok I won’t redose prazipro thank you for the info. I am pretty certain it’s brooklynella because the tank had it in the past and it’s possible some survived the fallow and ruby rally pro treatment

My main worry is the blenny not eating because of stress. Prazipro was only dosed ~4 hours ago so I don’t think that is the cause. I am not certain how to decrease stress as since I got the blenny it has been really shy. If I could get it to eat I would feel more comfortable leaving it in quarantine but right now I’m not sure…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok I won’t redose prazipro thank you for the info. I am pretty certain it’s brooklynella because the tank had it in the past and it’s possible some survived the fallow and ruby rally pro treatment

My main worry is the blenny not eating because of stress. Prazipro was only dosed ~4 hours ago so I don’t think that is the cause. I am not certain how to decrease stress as since I got the blenny it has been really shy. If I could get it to eat I would feel more comfortable leaving it in quarantine but right now I’m not sure…
Increase oxygen with air stone, reduce white intensity and I dont believe the prazi itself is a cause but rather mixing both meds as prazi has glycol and acriflavine may disrupt the binders in prazi

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase oxygen with air stone, reduce white intensity and I dont believe the prazi itself is a cause but rather mixing both meds as prazi has glycol and acriflavine may disrupt the binders in prazi
I already have a tiny sponge filter running oxygen into the water and there’s no light on the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back